Whistler Kamloops LoopSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 6
    Ian
    8 years ago
    Yermo, I don't know how to make a map without a GPS file so you'll have to go with the old fashioned (and short) description...

Had a really fun ride last weekend with three other folks.  We left Victoria Friday night on the 7pm ferry and rode through Vancouver and up to Squamish, which is on the way to Whistler.  That was the mundane part of the trip and involved night riding, but it was a good curvy road with light traffic, so, still enjoyable. 

There was some rain Saturday morning before we left and we had cold wet roads from the start.  It was clearing up and drying out by the time we got to Whistler where we stopped for breakfast at  The Southside Diner, which was a warm hearty meal with plenty of coffee.  As you must know, Whistler is up in the mountains, but the road goes up from there and winds its way through some absolutely gorgeous mountain scenery.  Being the last weekend in September, traffic was light; I'm sure it's full of RVs and other slow traffic in the summer, so it was a good time to be there.

At every turn the scenery was more and more impressive.  The road surface was good and we kept up a spirited pace.  Splendid riding.  While stopped at a glorious overlook we observed a large group of Lamborghinis drive past, then more, and a little later still more.  There must have been 25 in total! We were told it's an annual ride (drive) from Calgary to Vancouver.

On the east side of the mountains the road drops elevation and the land starts to dry out.  We passed through Lillooet and Cache Creek on our way to Kamloops, where we stayed Saturday night.  The roads open uphere and the speeds picked up.

Heading back toVancouver and the ferry on Sunday was on larger roads, though theystill curve through the mountains. We spent too much time loading upon a fantastic breakfast of crepes at the Amsterdam Restaurant, so wecranked it up a notch on the return trip, with long high-speed runs,so much so that my speedometer cable broke! It was loads of funwithout any law enforcement in sight and the group had a grand ol'time and made the ferry with time to spare.

I can highlyrecommend highway 99 from Vancouver north over the mountains and back.
    2 of 6
    Yermo
    8 years ago
    Like I keep saying, I need to find some time to improve the site. I have 80% or so of the mobile friendly rework done but have to finish up the last bit. 

Based on the description, here's a map.
    Map #11347
    Yermo
    8 years ago

2015 Ian's British Columbia Weekend Run

Ian did this ride over the weekend and posted a description in the forum. I really need to get this mapping software more usable.

3 of 6
    Ian
    8 years ago
    That's it.  It was better than the North Cascades Highway that we took across northern Washington, which is also a good road.

Our return trip was on route 5, which looks like a major road, but is actually scenic and pretty fun.  That brought us back to route 1, at which point you're on the main road west towards Vancouver.
    4 of 6
    Ian
    8 years ago
    Photo #11364
    Ian
    8 years ago
    Overlook on route 99 in BC

Overlook on route 99 in BC

Between Pemberton and Lillooet
    Photo #11363
    Ian
    8 years ago
    Near Lillooet, BC
    5 of 6
    Yermo
    8 years ago
    That sounds like a good ride. Impressive photos! I'm envious.
    6 of 6
    buffalo
    8 years ago
    Sounds like an excellent ride. If I'm not mistaken, Yermo and I may have ridden a bit of 99 back on our trip in '92.