Where`s everybody fromSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 32
    Bob
    6 years ago
    Hey everybody, I`m kind of new here and thought it might be a good idea to find out where everybody is from, State and city that`s all in case we want to put a ride together or post an event in the area for other to see. Just a thought. I`m from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, anybody else from that area..
    2 of 32
    Waynesville, North Carolina
    3 of 32
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    I'm down in College Park, Maryland, but do find my way up to Philadelphia from time to time. Have you ever stopped by Revzilla?

4 of 32
    Bob
    6 years ago
    Been there a couple of times, Its in the old Navy Yard in south philly. Lots of stuff and nice people to.
    5 of 32
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    When I ride up there the next time, I'll shoot you a message. 
    6 of 32
    You guys might want to take a look at the mid atlantic backcountry discovery route. I was at the launch party a few days ago. The north section is in your back yard.
    7 of 32
    buffalo
    6 years ago
    Beltsville, MD, not too far from Yermo.
    8 of 32
    JohnWard
    6 years ago
    Hi Bob. I'm in Wayne, PA. Let's ride!
    My bikes:
    2014 K1300S Anniv. Ed. sport tourer
    2009 GSX-R 750 sportbike
    2010 WR250R dual sport
    9 of 32
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    JohnWard, you still have the GSXR? I thought you had sold that to get the K1300S. I had such a blast riding that bike.
     buffalo and will likely find our way up your way at some point once the weather improves. 
    10 of 32
    JohnWard
    6 years ago
    Yermo, I couldn't bear to part with it. So I kept it and installed a Yoshi R55 slip-on. Now it's perfect and I must keep it forever. You know the feeling....
    11 of 32
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    JohnWard,  indeed, I do. ;) 
    12 of 32
    BilliamM
    6 years ago
    Baltimore MD
    13 of 32
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    BilliamM, what are your favorite roads up around Baltimore? buffalo often find ourselves North and East of Baltimore.
    14 of 32
    mikesimsr
    6 years ago
    Union, Mo, about 45 miles SW of StL.  A few miles from Route 66.
    15 of 32
    MTSweger
    6 years ago
    l'm near Charlottesville, Virginia (originally from south central PA).  Bikes currently in the stable:  2004 BMW K1200GT with ~90,000 miles on the clock and a 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure that I rode up to Alaska last summer.

Planning a ride down to Austin, TX for MotoGP races at COTA next month and wondering if anyone else from the area would like to ride along.  Will probably stop at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham on the way to Texas.  Anyone else interested?

Mike S.
    16 of 32
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    MTSweger, that's tempting. Are you planning on slabbing it down or taking a more scenic route? 

While it's still considered an "alpha quality" feature on the site here, you can plan rides here and lay out your intended departure and return dates, route, and stops.

It's like Facebook event but with a map and, IMHO, tries to be better tuned to the needs of motorcyclists. As you, and others, go on the trip you have a central place where you all can post updates and photos. 

If you're adventurous, you can try it. It's off the top left menu Rides->Schedule Ride. 

I find having a central place to plan a trip like that makes it easier for people to meet up along the way even if they can't go for the whole trip. 

For example, here's a day ride my buddy buffalo and I did a while ago riding around some back roads in Virginia:
    Ride #42089
    Yermo
    6 years ago

North of I66 East of Front Royal

To our surprise there are quite a few very nice twisty hilly roads in the area East of Front Royal and North of I66. The weather was gorgeous with dramatic skies. It was cool and windy but very pleasant. Our first target was Virginia Route 626 which is a beautiful rolling old rock wall lined road that wends its way through the countryside. From there we intersected 50 and turned left on SR 713 which was another simply beautiful road. We encountered a number of beautiful very old homes along the way. We made our way to Route 17 which we had ridden last weekend and stopped at Sky Meadows State Park where some civil war event was taking place. From there we headed North to Route 601 which is this tree lined dramatically hilly and curvy mountain road. We missed our planned turn and found ourselves on 7. We turned left onto Route 606 along the Shenandoah River. At one point as we slowed down to look for a spot to take a photo, a large branch fell in the roadway ahead of us. There were just too many good roads to remember them all. Cold Stream Road towards the end of the day off 29 stands out as does Route 6. The sun started to set as we turned onto Route 522 North which marked the point we started our way home.

17 of 32
    MTSweger
    6 years ago
    Nice!  I'll have to give it a try.  Most of my general pre-ride planning is done through Roadtrippers.com and their companion Android app, but this should work well to share some routes with others.  Typically, I like to avoid the slab as much as possible on multi-day trips with a loose itinerary and only a rough idea of each day's destination.

For my trip to Texas next month, I'll probably ride the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Blowing Rock first, then hit Birmingham and New Orleans before heading west to San Antonio and up to Austin for MotoGP.  After the races, I'll ride up to Lake Brownwood and pitch the tent on my land there for a day or two, then ride to Little Rock and link up with my brother-in-law so we can ride the Ozarks together.  I'll be exploring back roads through Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia on the way home.

This will be a 2-week trip, leaving Virginia on Saturday, 14 April, and getting home on the 28th or 29th.  Mostly camping or staying at cheap motels along the way, depending on the weather.

Will definitely check out your site's mapping function and play around with some possible routes.  Thanks!

Mike
    18 of 32
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    MTSweger, if you do have a chance to play with it I'd love to hear your impressions. 
    19 of 32
    BilliamM
    6 years ago
    We like to hit the back roads of Baltimore and Harford Counties a lot. We have a local group that rides weekly when the temp gets above 50. We generally ride out of the city via Falls Road (MD 25) Great road with lots of turns. From there we head into either Harford or Carroll county and into lower central PA. Really easy to get "lost" without being too far from gas or a spot to eat. Roads that branch off from 25 ar Graves Run, Spooks Hill, Upper and Lower Beckleysville and a lot more. Too many to list actually. MD 25 ends at the PA line and your a stones throw from PA851 one of my favorites to ride. Also puts you close to White Rose MC for shows, swap meets, and hill climbs.  
    20 of 32
    BilliamM
    6 years ago
    That last reply was for Yermo sorry I am tryin to figure out how this site work
    21 of 32
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    BilliamM, thanks! I haven't built the "indented replies" here yet so it's currently worked as intended. Sorry it's still a bit confusing. I hope to be able to make a pass through the forum software to make it more "Facebook group" style before too terribly long.

buffalo and I have ridden up Falls Roads to points North so many times. We'll have to join up at some point. 

This was one of the rides we did up that way:
    Map #11206
    Yermo
    8 years ago

Wonderfully Twisty Maryland Pennsylvania Tree Tunnel Ride

Duncan and I went on a 250 mile random loop ride where we just followed random roads in Pennsylvania and Maryland. This turned out to be a fantastic ride of some wonderfully twisty little tree covered roads especially in the upper left quadrant of the map. In places the tree canopy covered the road creating a tree tunnel effect.

22 of 32
    BilliamM
    6 years ago
    Yermo Always greta to have a few more motos on a ride. We have a little group in Baltimore, Fueled By Zeke's We generally do something every weekend, weather permitting. Sometimes it's two riders and sometimes it's 10 or 15. Let me know when you're headed up. 
    23 of 32
    DigitalRodney
    6 years ago
    Up until about two and half years ago, I was in Indiana, around Indianapolis.
    Now I am enjoying the longer riding season of Stanfield, NC - between Charlotte and Albemarle.
    24 of 32
    Tattoomike
    5 years ago
    Rosman NC... an hr from asheville nc, hr north of greenville sc. We got a stop light now. Basically on the south end of 215.... From waynesville
    25 of 32
    Bdad23
    5 years ago
    Clinton, La.