Best Motorcycle Roads in the USSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    26 of 30
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    27 of 30
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    Tattoomike, roughly like this? 
    28 of 30
    Ian
    5 years ago
    Recently returned from a ten-day ride from Victoria to Yellowstone and back.  Super trip all around and rode a couple of roads mentioned here - the Bear Tooth Pass and Chief Joseph Scenic Byway.

In Red Lodge, Montana we stayed at the Alpine Lodge, a decent motorcycle-friendly place with a bike washing station and a great breakfast.  The road over the pass includes numerous switchbacks, major elevation changes, and breathtaking mountain scenery.

There are wild beasts along this route, however.

And there is no mistaking the bear tooth itself on the south side of the pass.
    Photo #59033
    Ian
    5 years ago
    The Bear Tooth

On the other side of the mountain, we took the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway to Cody, Wyoming.  Although less dramatic in terms of switchbacks and awesome nature, this is arguably the better road.  The scenery is great and gradually changes as you descend to the plains.  There are long, fast sweepers and shorter tighter ones, too.  We saw very little traffic and were thrilled with the ride when we got to Cody.

And one more comment on previously mentioned "best roads"...  I was looking for a place to stay for our second night on the road, which would be near Missoula.  Unsatisfied with motels conveniently located around the airport, I expanded my search and we stayed at The Jack Saloon, which is just off the Lolo Pass (highway 12).  It's an amazing place, built out of enormous cedar logs, oozing with character, has the best steak sandwich I've ever had, and was rated a "best bar in America".  There are three two-person cabins, which was perfect for our group of six, and there is live music every Saturday night, which was also perfect, as we were there on a Saturday.  Had an amazing time and would highly recommend it if you're looking for a place to sleep indoors in that area.
    Link #59035
    Ian
    5 years ago
    Hope everybody gets in a good long ride or two this summer.
    29 of 30
    Great shots from a great trip!
    30 of 30
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    Oh that sounds like an awesome trip! I’m jealous. 

Thanks for the report and photos!