BMW K100RS Tech ThreadSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    51 of 92
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    On the subject of "drive shaft u-joint phasing" for paralever drive shafts:

52 of 92
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Special tool for tightening the right side swingarm pivot pin lock nut:

Link #9727
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    53 of 92
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Tires:

To my shock and horror there are no Pilot Road 4 rears available for my bike from Revzilla. This is disturbing and I guess a consequence of riding such an old bike.

Going to go with Pilot Road 3's for now.

Front: 120/70 ZR 17
    Link #9740
    Yermo
    9 years ago

Michelin Pilot Road 3 Front Tires - RevZilla

Purchase the Michelin Pilot Road 3 Front Tires at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/mic...

Rear: 160/60 ZR 18
    Link #9741
    Yermo
    9 years ago

Michelin Pilot Road 3 Rear Tires - RevZilla

Purchase the Michelin Pilot Road 3 Rear Tires at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/mic...
    54 of 92
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Eventually, when I get "bike profiles" built, we'll have a better place to keep this kind of info.

My front pads are shot. I'm running Spiegler USA rotors and matching pads. I had forgotten what pads I run so I contacted Spiegler and amazingly they sent me a copy of the invoice from 2011 when I did the rotors.

It's listed as a K1100RS but it's the same pad:

Link #9906
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    55 of 92
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    When I re-installed the swingarm and final drive, this is the thread locker I used:

Link #9908
    Yermo
    9 years ago

isurfne
    56 of 92
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    buffalo and I took my '92 K100RS which has just over 101,000 miles on the clock to Bob's to run it on a dyno. Here are the results:

57 of 92
    Ian
    9 years ago
    That's pretty cool.  I don't have experience reading Dyno charts, but it's interesting how flat the curve is for your K bike.

Incidentally, both the power and torque numbers are very close to those for my M900.  That is, the published numbers - I haven't had it Dyno'd.

And then my bike is about a quarter ton lighter, too.
    58 of 92
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    The tech was saying that this chart indicates the engine is in good shape.

I think it's at least half a ton heavier than your bike.
    59 of 92
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Came across this link today on Facebook and am filing it here for reference:

Link #10651
    Yermo
    9 years ago

K Bike Instrument Cluster

Info on K-Bike instrument clusters, removal, and disassembly.

http://classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0...
    60 of 92
    Yermo
    8 years ago
    I came across this list on Facebook today. It's a small index of European vendors of custom parts for Flying Bricks (BMW K100RS's)

Link #11523
    Yermo
    8 years ago

custom K parts available out there - K-parts

Seat solo tail section with saddle (Kit) by Kompo-Tech K-Series BMW Seat Mounting Kit by Vonzeti K100 K75 cafe racer seat in white gel coat ...

http://kparts.conceptuel.co.uk/inde...
    61 of 92
    Yermo
    7 years ago
    A meta-list of part alternatives for the flying brick:
    62 of 92
    Yermo
    7 years ago
    Saving this for later:

Link #11690
    Yermo
    7 years ago

Services ExpressMoto Design

We offer a range of services for classic road and race motorcycles as well as modern machines

http://www.expressmotodesign.com/se...
    63 of 92
    Yermo
    7 years ago
    This is a very detailed article about the design of BMW final drives:

Link #13587
    Yermo
    7 years ago
    64 of 92
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    Hmm. So maybe we shouldn't talk about why I am suddenly interested in the topic of K100RS 4V engine rebuilds, but I'm putting this here for reference later.

Video #35235
    Yermo
    6 years ago

BMW k75 rebuild 1/?

I 've bought it and check it, overhaul what is needed to use it. 740 cc 75 hp fuel injection in 1985 yet while it's in 2003 all the manufacturers started to ...
    65 of 92
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    Putting this here for research later. (Upgraded fuel injectors for K100RS 16V)

66 of 92
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    With some other tasks behind me, it's time for me to focus on some wrenching on my '92 K100RS. While doing some research, I came across this article which might be of interest to some:

Link #55063
    Yermo
    5 years ago

1985-1992 BMW K100RS | Retro Review | Rider Magazine

The 1985-1992 BMW K100RS is one of the best budget-sport tourers out there, and a good bet to appreciate over the years.

http://ridermagazine.com/2018/01/25...
    67 of 92
    Sitwon
    5 years ago
    ?
    68 of 92
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    69 of 92
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    Link #56720
    Yermo
    5 years ago

Cooling fan stopped running, getting hot now.

Hello, The bike is a 1992, 16v, K100rs So, the cooling fan was working just fine, but the thermostat was pretty inconsistent, so I got to working on it. I repl

http://www.k100-forum.com/t5169-coo...
    70 of 92
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    So at 123,000 my beloved Blue Oil Burner has started burning significantly more oil than it has historically. It burns approximately 500ml per thousand miles now which is up from around 200 in the course of one oil change. That seems rather sudden to me and it seems to be getting worse but I'll only be able to confirm that with some more miles.

The bike smokes on deceleration which implies valve stem seals. 

RubberChicken mentioned the possibility that maybe the formulation of Mobil 1 15w50 has changed somehow creating my consumption problem. 15w50 is becoming harder to find and the consumption has started since the last oil change so ... maybe? I haven't been able to find any mention of it searching on google but I may not be using the right search terms. 

Otherwise the bike seems to be running perfectly. It pulls strong. It gets good mileage. It smokes a bit black on full throttle high RPM acceleration and blueish on deceleration. ( buffalo, is that correct?) 

For starters, I plan to do another leakdown test on it to see if anything has dramatically changed. If the numbers come back somewhere close to where they were the last time do I:

- just run it and keep adding oil?
    - run some other thicker/high mileage oil?
    - do the valve stem seals?
    - pull the head and have the head gone through? 

Some have suggested that now it's finally time to get a new bike.

That
    ain't 
    happenin'.
    71 of 92
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    Found over on the k100-forum, a link to a valve stem tool:

Link #59537
    Yermo
    5 years ago

11pcs Auto Valve Stem Seal Plier Seating Pliers Remover Installer Tools Set 711221805687 | eBay

Valve Stem Pliers. Valve Pliers Reach Down Around The Valve Stem Into The Confined Areas Of The Seal. 11pc Valve Seal Remover And Installer Kit. For Removal Of Valve Stem Seals On Overhead Camshaft Engines. | eBay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Stem...
    72 of 92
    Ian
    5 years ago
    Pulling the head seems drastic. So it’s burning a little oil? If you lose half a litre over several thousand miles I personally would just leave it. Or save it for a winter project if you must dig into it.

Congrats! That’s a lot of miles!
    73 of 92
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    Half a liter over 1000 miles. It's quite a lot now although I've read about guys who are losing a liter per thousand. That seems like too much.
    74 of 92
    Ian
    5 years ago
    Okay, I'd probably do something about that, too.

Still, sounds like a winter project.  I don't know anything about valve stems.  What about piston rings?
    75 of 92
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    It seems that if the valve stem seals are bad it'll smoke on deceleration because as you have engine braking a vacuum is created which when sucks oil down past the seal into the combustion chamber .. and my bike is smoking on deceleration.

I have to do a leak down test and check to see if air is getting past the rings to determine if there's a problem there. On these bikes, from what I've read, that's typically not a problem at this mileage.