Updated Motorcyclist StatisticsSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 9
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    Updated Motorcycle Statistics from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (to 2012).

What's surprising here is the number of fatalities among older riders is increasing dramatically.

≤29 years - 26%
    30-39 years - 19%
    40-49 years - 20%
    ≥50 years - 35%

2 of 9
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    Upon investigating this surprising increase I discovered the following causes for increased older rider injury in a report issued about this time last year (2013) in the peer-reviewed journal Injury Prevention.

(Report linked within the Consumer Reports article below.)

Study shows older motorcycle riders risk greater injuries
    Consumer Reports News: February 11, 2013 08:08 AM

--                                                      
    Over the past two decades, the average age of motorcycle riders has increased, and a new report shows that injury rates have risen at an even greater rate for older riders.
    Older bikers are three times as likely to be seriously injured in crashes than younger riders, despite being in fewer wrecks.

The key distinction is that while younger riders, aged 20 to 39 years, were in far more accidents from 2001 to 2008 (921,229 incidents) than the oldest age group (65,660), those aged 60 and over were found to be much more likely to experience a severe injury. The older riders were shown to suffer more head and chest injuries, and to be more likely to die as a result of their injuries. Bikers in this age group were also three times as likely to be admitted to a hospital after a crash as were those in their 20s and 30s.

The findings were published online last week at the peer-reviewed journal Injury Prevention.

Among the authors' conclusions is that older adults experience more severe injuries due to the physiological effects of the aging process. In other words, getting old sucks. The report states: "As the body ages, bone strength decreases, subcutaneous and visceral fat distribution may change, and there is a decrease in the elasticity of the chest wall, factors which may lead to more severe injuries after exposure to trauma." Like I said...

The study goes on to cite risk factors for older riders that include delayed reaction time, altered balance, and worsening vision. Factor in the greater likelihood of a pre-existing health condition, and it is plain to see that older riders face greater survival challenges on two wheels. And now there is a comprehensive study to validate what previously may have been considered common sense.

The conclusions from the study include some valuable lessons:

* Many older riders may be new to motorcycling, or may have rusty skills. Motorcycle safety courses are recommended for new riders, as well as refresher courses for experienced riders.
    * Injury risks increase with age, compounding the inherent risks associated with riding.
    * Using a DOT-approved helmet can reduce the risk for head injuries.
    * Middle-aged and older riders may benefit from chest protection.

Link #9285
    Gabe
    10 years ago

Study shows older motorcycle riders risk greater injuries

Over the past two decades, the average age of motorcycle riders has increased, and a new report shows that injury rates have risen at an even greater rate for older riders. Older bikers are three times as likely to be...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...
    3 of 9
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    Google didn't lend much analysis beyond this, however I did discover the following 1999 paper on older motorcycle riders. This is a fascinating read and I believe it brings to light some cautions for all of us as we age.

Some excerpts below (as the post was too long with the article.)

Older Motorcyclists: Continuity or Change?
    Francis D. GlamserDepartment of Anthropology and Sociology
    The University of Southern Mississippi
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi 39406
    Revision of a paper presented at the annual meeting of the
    Mid South Sociological Association
     Jackson, Mississippi, November 1999

Anyone who has traveled to the more scenic areas of the United States has seen them. Whether you are visiting the Smoky Mountains or the Grand Canyon, you will see touring motorcyclists, and, if you look closely, often you will see gray hair and bifocals (see related March 25, 2001, “Los Angeles Times” story). Motorcycling has been a part of leisure and recreation in America for nearly a century, but it was always overwhelmingly a young person's activity that people were supposed to grow out of. Thus, a common experience for today's motorcyclist stopping for gas at a small country store in a remote area is to run into an old timer who tells of his youthful misadventures with an Indian or Harley- Davidson motorcycle. He'll have a glint in his eye as he tells of his misspent youth, and he'll warn you that those things will kill you. At that point the rider agrees and says he'll be careful. Increasingly, however, the rider is a bit of an old timer himself or herself.

From 1980 to 1998 the median age of a motorcyclist in the United States increased from 24 to 38. In 1980 nearly 25% of riders were under 18. The figure for 1998 is less than 4%. Over the same period of time the total number of motorcycle registrations has declined from its all time peak by about 30% (Motorcycle Industry Council, 1998).

This rather dramatic shift in the age of motorcyclists raises a number of questions. Are young people no longer attracted to motorcycles? Are middle-aged people coming to motorcycles for the first time, or are they simply riders who have grown old. If riders are growing older, what effect does retirement have on their riding. How does motorcycling relate to the challenges of aging -- both physical and psychological? This research is an attempt to deal with some of these issues.

Gerontological theories provide some insight into these questions. Disengagement Theory would suggest that as people age they withdraw from the social roles of their youth as they become more preoccupied with self (Cumming and Henry, 1961). This doesn't seem to apply to older riders until serious health problems surface.

Activity Theory may be more relevant. It posits that people are most satisfied in old age if they can maintain the social roles of middle age and replace any lost roles (Cavan, 1962). Thus the rider who has been involved in motorcycles all his or her life will derive great satisfaction from being able to maintain that involvement. For others, taking up a new activity like riding may substitute for lost roles.

Continuity Theory tells us that people develop their personality across adulthood and they have coping strategies and preferences which are well-established by middle age (Atchley, 1989). In later life most people are engaged in things they have been doing for a lifetime. As long as external or internal change are not too great such as serious health or financial problems, most people will make necessary adjustments to minimize changes in their personal lifestyle and self concept. For a rider this may mean a more comfortable seat, better lighting or more frequent rest stops, but the essential aspects of riding remain.

Another theoretical perspective which may relate to older motorcyclists is that of high-risk recreation and sensation seeking. Some psychologists believe that human beings need a certain degree of stress in their lives to maintain sufficient levels of endorphins in the brain (Priest & Gass, 1997:42). The assumption is that this need varies from person to person and that if one's daily life does not provide enough stimulation, the individual is likely to seek out risk- taking activities.

There is much evidence that the popularity of high-risk recreation activities such as hang-gliding, rock climbing, sky diving, and scuba diving has increased in recent years (Malkin & Rabinowitz, 1998). Generally, participants in such activities tend to be young, male, and middle class (Schrader & Wann, 1999). People of this description are likely to have safe and reasonably predictable daily lives and the resources to pursue leisure interests. As the normal risks of everyday life have been reduced by science, government, and personal injury lawyers, the average person is left with little real risk in daily living (Greenfield, 1999). Thus, motorcycling which is perceived as a risky activity may be particularly attractive to the middle aged or older person whose life has become too routine and too safe.

Effects of Aging
    The most obvious effects of aging are the physical changes and health problems which are a common experience in later life. Respondents were asked how the physical effects of aging had affected their involvement in and enjoyment of motorcycling. Perhaps not surprisingly for a population that puts 11,000 miles a year on motorcycles the most common response (33 riders) was that they hadn't seen any effect yet. In terms of the amount of riding these riders are doing, they are probably being honest in that they ride greater distances and for longer periods of time than when they were young.

However, some interpretation is required. As many riders pointed out, the motorcycles of today are vastly more comfortable and reliable than the bikes of the 1950's and 1960's. Many of these modern machines have excellent suspensions, heated hand grips, custom-made seats and adjustable windscreens. Similarly, the clothing and helmets worn by riders today provide excellent protection from wind, rain, cold and noise. The net effect of these changes is that covering lots of miles is much less physically taxing than in an earlier era.

While many of the older riders reported being generally unaffected by physical changes, most were aware of declining capacity. The most common categories of problems were strength, endurance, vision, orthopedic problems, and reaction time.

Awareness of diminishing strength was usually presented in terms of being less able to pick up a fallen bike or to hold one up which was falling over. A few riders expressed the need for a lighter or lower bike than they would prefer.

Endurance for these riders refers to the ability to cover great distances in a day and to repeat the process the next day. In one rider's words, "I cannot do the 500/600 miles a day like I used to be able to do ... 300 miles a day is more to my liking now." Or as another rider who was concerned about the safety ramifications of fatigue said, "I am shameless about stopping/taking breaks." Older riders simply make adjustments in their riding styles to remain involved.

Vision problems usually relate to declining night vision and the need for corrective lenses. Night vision is much more critical on a motorcycle than in a car, because of the greater threat to personal safety posed by road debris and wildlife. Older riders compensate by adding powerful accessory lights to their machines and by curtailing night riding. Bifocals are necessary because of the need to read instruments and maps. People complain, but they keep riding.

Orthopedic complaints are very common among older riders with knees and hips being mentioned most frequently and backs being third. The normal riding position on a motorcycle requires substantially more knee and hip flexion than automobile driving. Because of arthritis and general joint deterioration, holding this position for an extended period of time can be painful. Older riders compensate by switching to bikes with a less sporty, more upright seating position, better seats, and over the counter pain killers. A retired long distance rider I know rides with two artificial knees.

A number of these older riders are aware that their reflexes and reaction times aren't what they used to be, so they compensate by being more cautious, slowing down a bit, taking training courses, and wearing better protective equipment.

Beyond physical changes, the respondents were asked how being older had affected their appreciation of riding. The most common response was that they enjoyed the scenery and environment more than when they were young. They now take the time to stop and smell the roses. In the words of one rider:

"I love to plan my touring routes for scenic value. I love mountains and forests. When riding vigorously I will often turn around and retrace a 30-40 mile stretch of road just to drink in the beauty of the scenery at a more sedate pace."

The idea of not being in a hurry was a common theme for many older riders. One sixty-seven year old rider explained why he wanted to enjoy the moment: "As an older rider you have to face the very real possibility that each ride may very well be your last, so you savor them more."

Another change that was associated with aging for these riders was a greater appreciation of the fellowship and camaraderie of motorcycling. Paradoxically, riding is a solitary, even lonely activity. Serious riders enjoy the contemplation and solitude that riding allows. And yet these people ride great distances alone to meet with fellow riders. In one rider's words: "There is very little competition for acceptance or social status. The ride and rally lifestyle is usually a pleasant experience." Or as another rider said, "We're at a point in our lives where we realize that friends are one of the most important parts of life."

Conclusions

It appears that older motorcyclists are largely motorcyclists who have grown older. They began riding in an era when people didn't have much money and motor scooters and motorbikes were seen as transportation in addition to being fun. Over the years their riding has ebbed and flowed in response to military, family and/or work responsibilities, but they usually returned. Now that they are older, better off financially, and have reduced responsibilities, they are riding more than ever. At a period in life when time is often an issue, they are taking their time enjoying the scenery and each other's company. That they ride represents continuity; how they ride represents change.
    4 of 9
    gthomas15229
    10 years ago
    I had two accidents in a 9 month span. I am not going to ride anymore.
    5 of 9
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    gthomas15229 Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. What were the circumstances of the accidents? 
    6 of 9
    gthomas15229
    6 years ago
    Both were riding home from work at 7:30 AM. I was being careful but probably not at my best from being up all night. The first one happened when the driver making a left turn onto a side street hesitated and I had to squeeze the front brake harder and the slow fall from being nearly stopped with my feet still on the pegs. The second one I did a head check to change lanes and the light changed to red so I rear ended a stopped car. Luckily in both I was going slow and the impact affected only the motorcycle. But now 4 years later I am also having physical situations that would be uncomfortable to ride. Do you know anyone who wants a 2004 BMW R1150RS with 5138 miles?
    7 of 9
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    Oh man, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. :( 

I don't know of anyone looking for a bike right now. I suspect you won't have  a hard time selling it. 
    8 of 9
    Goat
    6 years ago
    I’d like to know more about your R1150RS. 
    9 of 9
    gthomas15229
    6 years ago
    Sorry for the delay. It is basically brand new with 5138 miles on the odometer. I paid $6000 in 2013 at the local BMW dealer who was selling it on consignment for the owner. It had 5011 miles and was originally bought 8/26/2003. I rode it a couple of days for about 118.6 miles and just didn't like it after riding a  Kawasaki Concours 1000 and 1400. The battery was bad so I replaced it and it has been on trickle charge since then. It didn't even have the break-in checkup. It is the blue and silver color. There is no visible damage. The he registration and insurance have both expired. I have clear title. I  now have rheumatoid arthritis in both hands and can no longer ride. I will be glad to take the best offer nearest to the Kelly Blue Book price.