What are your favorite motorcycle magazines?Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 30
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Here's a thread on motorcycle #magazines

My personal favorite is Motorcycle Consumer News.

IzoldaT.
    2 of 30
    DigitalRodney
    9 years ago
    Rider Magazine, about the only that I routinely read cover to cover.
    3 of 30
    IzoldaT
    9 years ago
    Thanks! Subscription started.
    4 of 30
    Gerald Barrowman
    9 years ago
    Since I haven’t thoroughly read one in years (even though I still get 3 a month through memberships) I had to go look in my stash (I’ve saved them all since the 80’s).
    It turns out to be “Road Rider” with “Motorcycle Consumer News” as a sub-title? I remember Road Rider changing their format. Google says the simple black on white format is gone, you might know. So it looks like Road Rider no longer exists? Google says it’s still in Australia?  The name of the guy who started Road Rider is bugging me, anyone know? 
    5 of 30
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Gerald Barrowman, unfortunately I don't, I'm afraid.
    6 of 30
    Beekeeper
    9 years ago
    No real favorite. I read Cycle World, Motorcyclist, BMW Owners News, and the AMA mag.
    7 of 30
    Gerald Barrowman
    9 years ago
    Road Rider was a glossy with advertising that went to a flat newsprint like paper with black on white printing only and no advertising. Their income came from subscriptions only.
    This was so they could be unbiased in their reporting. 

They also accepted original articles from readers and some of their regular staff were volunteers. I believe that’s when they subtitled it Motorcycle Consumer News and then eventually went with just Motorcycle Consumer News. And eventually back to being a glossy. 

One of these days the name of the guy who started it will come to me, he is a legend in the industry. 
    Google doesn’t even know his name but they sure know Lou Kimzey’s from Easyriders!!!
    He was gone from Road Rider by the time I started subscribing so my stash is no help. Oh, his name is in there but it would take hours to find it. 
    8 of 30
    Gerald Barrowman
    9 years ago
    Roger Hull!
    It just came to me out of the blue while cleaning up the garage! Tons of stuff on him:      

http://tinyurl.com/orycehj

Since the link didn't come up active you'll have to copy and paste it into your address box. 
    Or just enter Roger Hull of Road Rider magazine! 

Interesting! I edited the link to be one line below the text instead of right under it and it became active! 
    9 of 30
    rshaug
    9 years ago
    Yermo, pretty much every motorcycle magazine imaginable is available through the iTunes store. I pretty much exclusively read them on iPad these days - better selection and easy to have many on hand. Currently I subscribe to (digitally):
    -Motorcycle Consumer News
    -MCN (the British MCN)
    -Performance Sport Bikes
    -Cycle World
    -Motorcyclist
    -Bike (the British motorcycle mag)
    -Adventure Motorcycling
    -a couple of other racing mags
    10 of 30
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    9 years ago
    I subscribe to two MCN and Road Runner which is an awesome touring magazine complete with pullout maps and now you can go online and download the routes from their website.
    11 of 30
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    They are also my two favorites.
    12 of 30
    John St John
    9 years ago
    BMW Owner's News (ON). As they say: "Membership has it's privileges", and one of them is a pretty great magazine subscription. ON seems to be oriented more towards long distance touring than other motorcycle magazines I've read. 
    13 of 30
    DaFish
    9 years ago
    Subscription started. Thanks!
    14 of 30
    buffalo
    9 years ago
    MCN and Cycle World cover it for me.
    15 of 30
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Good 'ol cycle world, available through Amazon just like almost everything else is. I confess that my relationship with this periodical has changed since my time on the Cannon Ball Centennial Ride ... 

16 of 30
    Ulywood
    9 years ago
    Cycle World was a favorite but I am missing Peter Egan's regular posts.  

17 of 30
    Ian
    9 years ago
    For many years, my only subscription has been to Motorcyclist and I still enjoy it.  They've run a few Peter Egan stories in the last couple of years, too.  They lean towards performance, which means they don't get too lovey-dovey over a bike just because.
    18 of 30
    rick.rutel
    9 years ago
    Road Runner, MCN, Rider, Cycle World, BMW MOA
    19 of 30
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Embedded Object Error, how did you get in the door at those magazines? 
    20 of 30
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    wow, very cool. People keep telling me to write so when I encounter someone who does it "for real", I'm always full of questions.

Are any of your stories available online? 
    21 of 30
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Thanks! I'll send you a private message.
    22 of 30
    Ulywood
    9 years ago
    Vintage bikes in the UK...I read online

23 of 30
    Ian
    9 years ago
    Yermo, you'll recognize the bike in this month's "Me & My Bike" segment in Motorcyclist.  It's not up on their website yet or I'd include a link.  It's Robert Pandya and his Indian prototype.

For future reference, that's the November 2014 issue.
    24 of 30
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Clearly this was a bad time to let my subscription to Motorcyclist Magazine lapse.
    25 of 30
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    I failed to include  link: