Spring group ride to Afton VA areaSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 5
    Beekeeper
    9 years ago
    Hello everyone, can I get some advice concerning a group ride planned for next spring? First, it will likely be a small group of around eight to ten from my CMA chapter in southern WV. I'm the road captain and the group expressed interest in this area for our spring trip. What I'm curious about is good places to stay and eat in the area, and nice back roads. On Friday we'll likely come up the parkway, so I'm looking for a loop on Saturday of around 200 miles with nice back roads and a good lunch stop. Any suggestions about where to go and where to avoid is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    2 of 5
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    There are so many really nice roads in that area it's kind of hard to go wrong.

Here's a two day loop we did that I really enjoyed:

Map #10569
    Yermo
    9 years ago

Sept 2014 Two Day Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia mountain twisties loop

Ben Mendis and I did a two day, roughly 530 mile, loop through the mountains of Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland.

Of note was Route 72 off 219 in West Virginia which is just this wicked little twisty, albeit rough and treacherous, little just over driveway sized road that carves it's way along a river canyon. "River Road" branches off of it and runs along the water at the base of the gorge which is where we found these just scenically beautiful camping spots right on the water. 

Also of note was route 647 in Virginia at exit 27 on I66 which turned out to be a beautiful rolling country road through alternating forests and farms.

As usual, Route 33 in Virginia and West Virginia proved to be awesome and wonderfully twisty as did the northern section of 219 before it meets up with 50. 50 East is a faster road but one that also carves it's way through lush green forests and has some incredible views. 

3 of 5
    Beekeeper
    9 years ago
    Thanks, I'll have to try and make 72 part of the ride. While looking at your map I realized we'll be relatively close to Reddish Knob. I'll have to make that a part of the loop. I just hope my friend with a gold wing doesn't freak out!
    4 of 5
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    9 years ago
    Route 250 is also an amazing road. Your loop could be 250 to 219 to 33. Nothing but curves, curves and more curves 
    5 of 5
    Beekeeper
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the good route tips. Next question, where's the best food that a working man can afford?