November 2014 Day Ride to the Frederick Municipal Watershed Gravel RoadsSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 3
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    It was a nice fall day a few weeks ago, when buffalo and I, took our Suzuki DR650's for a day of exploring a system of gravel roads that I had ridden some week prior with Colin Busch of Bob's BMW. 

This was the first real ride for Buffalo on his DR as we had just gotten it all put back together again after the infamous "Neutral Sender Unit screws having fallen out" problem. (More on that later.)

It was cool but not too cold and the sun was shining. We made short order of the 55 miles from home to the Gambrils Park Road just past Frederick, Maryland. This is a nice winding little mountain road that climbs up into the hills. At one point there is an impressive, for the area, overlook where you can see for miles to the East across Frederick. I did not know there was such a view in Maryland. 

Not far north of the overlook is Hamburg Road on the right. From there Fishing Creek Road, which is one of the entry points to the Frederick Municipal Watershed is not far. It's a left. 

There is a system of gravel roads spanning about 15 miles all told. There are gentle mildly rutted hills, some bumps, and seemingly endlessly changing beautiful scenery. It can be done on a street bike but is more fun with a dual sport. There is even a modest water crossing.

This was the longest distance of unpaved road Buffalo had ridden since he was a kid. All told a good day.

Photo #10830
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Overlook on the Eastern Side of Frederick Maryland off 270

Overlook on the Eastern Side of Frederick Maryland off 270

I've ridden past this "scenic overlook" that wasn't on the Eastern side of Frederick many times. We thought to stop and look but it was too overgrown. There is a much more impressive overlook on the Western side off Gambrills Park Road.
    Photo #10831
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Gambrills Park Road Overlook over Frederick Maryland

Gambrills Park Road Overlook over Frederick Maryland

Buffalo and I stopped here to take a quick look at this overlook. We've been riding this area for years and had not realized this was here. You can see for miles which is rare in Maryland.

Photo #10845
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Gravel Roads
    Photo #10843
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Gravel Road

Photo #10837
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    To cross or not to cross.

To cross or not to cross.

One of the roads crosses a small stream with some rather large rocks in it.
    Photo #10839
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Water level view.
    Photo #10841
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    End of the day.
    2 of 3
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    And here's the map:

Map #10849
    Yermo
    9 years ago

November 2014 Ride in the Frederick Muncipal Watershed

buffalo and I spent a day riding 15 miles of gravel roads around the Frederick Muncipal Watershed near Frederick Maryland. 

3 of 3
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Creek Crossing:

Video #10851
    Yermo
    9 years ago

Simple Creek Crossing in the Frederick Municipal Watershed near Frederick Maryland on a Suzuki DR650

We spent a day riding a system of gravel roads near Frederick Maryland. All told there are about 15 miles of mild gravel roads with gentle hills and one smal...