The Helmet ThreadSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 19
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    What helmets do you guys wear?

Michael Stout was mentioning to me that he's looking at purchasing this one:

Link #11013
    Yermo
    9 years ago

Scorpion EXO-GT3000 Helmet - RevZilla

Purchase the Scorpion EXO-GT3000 Helmet at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...

For dual-sport riding I wear an XD-4 which I love:

Link #5422
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Arai XD-4 Helmet - Solid - RevZilla

Purchase the Arai XD-4 Helmet - Solid at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

For street riding I wear a Signet-Q:
    Link #9940
    Yermo
    9 years ago

Arai Signet-Q Helmet - Solid - RevZilla

Purchase the Arai Signet-Q Helmet - Solid at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

What helmet do you wear and why did you choose it?
    2 of 19
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    As a guest helmet I have the previous version of this one:
    Link #9704
    Yermo
    9 years ago

HJC CL-17 Helmet - RevZilla

Purchase the HJC CL-17 Helmet at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

I got a similar one for my (alas former) girlfriend. While somewhat heavier than the expensive brands it seemed to work quite well.
    3 of 19
    Michael Stout
    9 years ago
    I have the HD version of this helmet.

Link #11018
    Yermo
    9 years ago

HJC IS-MAX BT Bluetooth Helmet - RevZilla

Purchase the HJC IS-MAX BT Bluetooth Helmet at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

I bought it from the HD dealer for a couple of reasons. One was convenience. The other was that, apparently, I was to lazy to go shop around.

Now I want to shop around, as I have a couple choices I'd really like to check out.
    4 of 19
    Michael Stout
    9 years ago
    What I'm really curious about, is this. Has anyone ordered a helmet online, rather than purchasing it from a brick & mortar store?

I'm a little leery about it, as all the "special handling" that occurs in getting the product from the store, to my home. Would hate to need a replacement, or it not hold up in case I needed it, due to those "handling" issues.
    5 of 19
    Ben Mendis
    9 years ago
    I went to a brick and mortar store to figure out my size, but then ordered the helmet from RevZilla.

The box arrived undamaged and I have no reason to believe it was mishandled in any way before reaching my door.

I currently wear a Scorpion EXO-400. I'm thinking of getting an EXO-410 because the one I have has been dropped a few times (from about 2-3 ft) because I'm clumsy.

Link #11020
    Ben Mendis
    9 years ago

Scorpion EXO-R410 Helmet - RevZilla

Purchase the Scorpion EXO-R410 Helmet at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

Nothing really special about it, it's just a cheap SNELL-certified helmet. Since I'm clumsy and less experienced than many of you I didn't want to spend $500+.
    6 of 19
    DigitalRodney
    9 years ago
    Right now I have an HJC Modular, kind of bought online from a someone who bought it and didn't like it. No problems with it.
    I looking to move to the Gmax G54 - I like modular helmets and this one gets great reviews for the venting. The light in the back of the helmet is a plus. I plan to buy from Amazon, I'm a prime member and they have the best prices.
    7 of 19
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    DigitalRodney, Which HJC modular helmet do you have? This one?

Link #10088
    Yermo
    9 years ago

HJC SyMax 3 Helmet - RevZilla

Purchase the HJC SyMax 3 Helmet at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/hjc...
    8 of 19
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    And is this the helmet you're looking at getting?

Link #11024
    Yermo
    9 years ago

GMax GM54S Modular Helmet - Solid - RevZilla

Purchase the GMax GM54S Modular Helmet - Solid at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

9 of 19
    DigitalRodney
    9 years ago
    That's the one, even the right color. Mine is the version before the drop down sun shield.
    10 of 19
    DigitalRodney
    9 years ago
    This is it, looking at the Derk Model, sorry I didn't post links. Maybe later after work is done.
    11 of 19
    Ian
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't hesitate to order a helmet online, as long as it's a brand I'm familiar with.  I'm a long time Shoei user, so I can confidently order a size large and know that it will fit well.  As it happens, my RF-1000 is getting old, so I should consider replacing it.

Question for you guys with off-road style helmets...  Having that bill that sticks out like a baseball cap, does it do a good job of keeping a low sun out of your eyes?  Living up north here in British Columbia the sun spends a lot more time low in the sky and it would be nice to be able to block it.  Most of my riding is on secondary roads, as opposed to highways, so speeds are not too high.  Maybe that helmet style would be best.

What are the other advantages or disadvantages of that kind of helmet?
    12 of 19
    Michael Stout
    9 years ago
    I used to have the GMax GM68S, full face helmet. It was really an amazing helmet, especially considering it was <$150.

VERY nice venting. Rode through parts of Texas, middle of summer, and my head stayed nice and cool.

Rainy days, the visor had a first détente that basically "cracked". Not much air allowed in, but it helped to keep the visor from fogging. Also had a chin curtain, which helped keep the rain off your face. No breath guard though.

Very light. Wore it on 500+ days, with no fatigue.

I had considered a GMax, for a modular, but at the time they didn't have one that was DOT certified. Good to see the GM54S certified.
    13 of 19
    DigitalRodney
    9 years ago
    One of the first reviews I read about the GMax was from a guy who went down after a week of having his. He said his hit the side of his head on the pavement pretty good, but he was okay. The Doctor was even impressed. Pretty good review.
    14 of 19
    Beekeeper
    9 years ago
    I wore an Arai for several years, probably too long since the lining was starting to deteriorate. I replaced it last Saturday with a Shoei GT Air. So far it has been great. Temps around 40 degees when commuting to work and practically no fogging issues with the visor completely closed. The pinlock lens really does work!
    15 of 19
    Ulywood
    9 years ago
    I'm a poor man...I usually replace with GMaxx helmets.  They always fit well and the sizes for the different styles are usually consistent.  Online, any style I want for under $100.  I did buy a Chinese modular helmet off ebay for 13.05 on one occasion.  Hey it lasted a couple of years until it rolled off my bike and the hinge broke lol.  By the grace of God I have never had to crash test a lid.  
    16 of 19
    Michael Stout
    9 years ago
    Back in the 70's I had the unfortunate opportunity to field test a helmet. I was wearing a 3/4 Bell, that was gold with "sparkles", or metal flake.

Long story short, I ended up with a concussion and a sprained ankle. The car that hit us, according to the police officer who returned my helmet, had an everlasting dent in the hood.

So, yeah, I get a little particular about the helmet I wear.
    17 of 19
    Beekeeper
    9 years ago
    Back in the day I either wore a puddin bowl helmet from the sixties or none at all. Nowadays I want the best protection I can afford. Funny how protecting my skull got more important as I got older.
    18 of 19
    Ian
    9 years ago
    Kinda hard to tell what it would be like to switch to a dual-sport style helmet, so I think I'll go try some on.  Also, a Pinlock visor would be a big bonus.  And they don't seem to come in my preferred helmet color - yellow.  I'll go see what I can find.
    19 of 19
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    I hadn't heard about the GMax helmet line before. I don't see the '68 on Revzilla, but there is this one:

Link #11047
    Yermo
    9 years ago

GMax GM69 Helmet - RevZilla

Purchase the GMax GM69 Helmet at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.