EVENT: 17 May British Euro Bike Day DC and MD AreaSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 4
    buffalo
    8 years ago
    I don't know how many folks are into these weird/older British and European bikes, but I've always liked at least looking at them if not riding them

Sorry about the broken graphic below, but if you click on the link, it does work:

2 of 4
    Ulywood
    8 years ago
    Oh how we love classic British and European motorcycles...even the old eastern European offerings are precious.  Have you ever noticed that real motorcycles, such as those mentioned above, don't have white-wall tires?  Oh Lord save us from the recliner chair, feet forward two wheel offerings with those white wall tires giving them a classic Buick look.  Grant us old British, Italian, German, Polish, Czech, and Spanish Iron that vibrates and leaks oil with large leading shoe brakes and tickle buttons that always insured the fragrant aroma of high octane on the tips of our fingers.   No stinking white wall tires being stained by our leaking steeds.  Engine rebuilds after 15,000 miles...when men were men and women were wearing leather.  Oh how we loved those days, those bikes, those smells, those bleeding knuckles those electrical systems with positive ground and those hand painted pinstripes!  So, what address do I put into my GPS to relive the good ole days?
    3 of 4
    buffalo
    8 years ago
    Ulywood, it didn't say specifically in the event announcement, but as best as I can tell, it should be here:

High Point Farm23730 N Frederick Rd, Clarksburg, MD 20871
    events line phone: (301) 428-0650

4 of 4
    buffalo
    8 years ago
    Yes, there is something to be said for the good old days and old school technology. It certainly had lots of character to compensate for the er, "old school reliability". I'd have to agree about "Buicks" with white wall tires (though I will quietly admit a certain irrational weakness for older Indians).

As one who has fiddled for many hours with older bikes, seeing a field full of men and women of a certain age  scratching their heads, looking puzzled, and mumbling variants of, "hmm, it started up just fine 15 minutes ago" has a certain old school appeal

Speaking of bikes with older electrical systems, it looks like someone's started making a critical replacement part for some of the older Brit cars and bikes: