Map ResourcesSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 12
    Yermo
    7 years ago
    This seems pretty cool:

Link #11652
    Yermo
    7 years ago

National Park Maps | NPMaps.com - just free maps, period.

View and download any high resolution national park map: absolutely free PDF and image files of maps from park brochures and handouts, no strings attached.

http://npmaps.com/
    2 of 12
    Zubb
    7 years ago
    Wow Yermo, thank you!  I bookmarked this and definitely see it's usefulness for future adventures.

Cheers,
    3 of 12
    Yermo
    7 years ago
    Cool. It does seem like a good resource.
    4 of 12
    Yermo
    7 years ago
    "Maplets" - Green Ride State Forest Map

Link #11658
    Yermo
    7 years ago

Maplets - Green Ridge State Forest Maryland

A map image overlaid onto a google map with the correct aspect ratio. Pretty cool.

http://www.mobilemaplets.com/contri...
    5 of 12
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    This is an interactive map of forest services roads:

6 of 12
    Thanks for posting. It's interesting to see how maps produced by the same agency contradict one another. Makes my job challenging.
    7 of 12
    buffalo
    5 years ago
    Interesting--should be helpful in figuring out where we are next time we wander off into the forest on unmarked (or poorly marked) roads
    8 of 12
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    America.Rides.Maps, yea. I can imagine. After last weekends ADV ride with buffalo and wondering about the legal status of the roads we found, I've been pouring over them comparing what's on OSM. I'm amazed how poorly done the Forest Service map app is. What's interesting is that there are a ton of challenging forest roads starting about 110 miles from my location. 

The area between route 33 West of Harrisonburg North to Criders is filled with legal forest roads, some of them quite challenging. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the roads are on the OSM maps the routing engine doesn't seem to know about them.
    9 of 12
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    buffalo, here's the map of ideas I'm working on for our next ride. Each road listed (zoom in) I've compared against the Forest Service site to make sure it's a legal road. There's a question about FR 374 off Edinburgh Gap Road (675). The site says it's an open road but I could have sworn it's part of the "for-fee" Taskers Gap OHV system. I'll make sure to bring printouts of the PDF maps they provide for additional reference. 

There's more than we can possibly ride in a day so I'll try to put some route together that's doable as a day ride but if we get an early start maybe we can get in a few.

10 of 12
    Now you know why I insist on riding every road that goes on my maps - it's the only way to be sure. The unpaved stuff is even more challenging as those roads open and close sporadically due to commercial use and other management practices.

Here's a resource for you to look at:

11 of 12
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    12 of 12
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    Here's a gravel roads resource I came across today for the state of Virginia. It doesn't seem to include any national forest service roads.