Recommendations for Sena Upgrade? Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 13
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    To make larger group rides, which have been starting up recently, easier to manage we're all considering upgrading from our old Sena SMH10's to a later version.

buffalo, there seem to be a few options but I'm not sure which is the best one. thoughts?

ryan647, gcraigm I need to do a little research before recommending one. 

Does anyone have any experience with these later units?
    2 of 13
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    If you click through, the video review is quite well done.

(And we are a Revzilla affiliate FWIW ...)
    3 of 13
    buffalo
    3 years ago
    Between the 50S and 50R, my understanding is there is little difference. The R is lower profile and has slightly less battery life. 30 and 20 series are older with fewer features. You can buy a newer 10 c model if you want a built in camera, but there are many separate camera choices (that have the advantage of not sharing your comms battery) out there. SMH 10s are still available, but getting long in the tooth now, 10+ years out.
    4 of 13
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    After watching the video review on Revzilla.com, I'm leaning heavily towards the 50S.
    5 of 13
    buffalo
    3 years ago
    As am I. I look forward to having the ability to hear the GPS, and to be able to save comm hookup time.
    6 of 13
    Our old 20S units work well, I'm now using the SRL which has much better noise and sound quality.
    7 of 13
    Robermcm
    3 years ago
    I own a 20s, about 5 years old now. Still runs all day on one charge. It’s great to connect with one or two other riders. Sometimes even four works reliably. Over that, it’s a mess. I’d make that a major criteria for selection. If you’re good with 2,3 or sometimes 4 people, a 20s or 20s evo are solid units with user replaceable batteries (being handy helps). 

ive heard nothing but bad things about the 30 models. First mesh units and they have software issues. 

my friends mostly have 20s or Evos. A few have smh10’s and they are very compatible. One guy has an in-helmet 10u that has short battery life and some quirks. 

hope that helps. 
    8 of 13
    buffalo
    3 years ago
    I've just ordered the 50S from Revzilla. Hopefully it'll be a nice improvement over the old SMH 10. We shall see...
    9 of 13
    Steve516
    3 years ago
    My old sena SMH-10 has been unable to pair with my iphone for two years now. It refuses (or the sena software refuses) to be recognized when plugged into the computer to try and update or confirm the firmware etc. From what I have been reading, I am leaning towards a Cardo PacTalk... unless you can convince me a new Sena will not brick itself...
    10 of 13
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    We will report back once we have some experience with the new units. I'm placing an order for one now. 
    11 of 13
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    Since I have two helmets, I'll need to get a second base:

Link #154844
    Yermo
    3 years ago

Sena 50S Universal Helmet Clamp Kit - RevZilla

Shop RevZilla for your Sena 50S Universal Helmet Clamp Kit today! Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guaranteed & Top of the Line Expert Service.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...
    12 of 13
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    ryan647, the Sena 50S does seem to be the one to get. I placed an order for one. 
    13 of 13
    ryan647
    3 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    ryan647, the Sena 50S does seem to be the one to get. I placed an order for one. 

Right on, thanks for doing the leg work.  I'll get one ordered.