Another great local ride.Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 5
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    gcraigm knocked another ride plan out of the park using a combination of the tools here on Miles By Motorcycle and the algorithmic Curvature site to assess a "curviness rating" of the roads he was looking at.

He wrote a blog entry about it:

gcraigm
    3 years ago
    Blog Article (155229)

Prolog

How it got started Originally this ride was titles "Riding 'Road Curvature' roads to EMMR".  I had this idea and it went something like this.... What if we took a bunch of roads from a website dedicated to finding curvy roads, stitched them together on our way up to the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing?   Eastern Museum of Motor Racing I first found out about this place only a few weeks ago.  I was gathering points in a scavenger hunt sponsored by Bob's BMW in celebration of the 40th ...Read More

He was a bit concerned that this ride wouldn't live up to the expectations set by his last planned ride, but, once again, we had a wonderful day ride.

Ride #155058
    gcraigm
    3 years ago

Riding "Curvature" roads around Prettyboy

Stitching together a few segments found on road Curvature project maps, with a loop around Prettyboy Reservoir.

2 of 5
    What is Prettyboy and what's it like? Looks interesting.
    3 of 5
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    It's a reservoir North and West of Baltimore that has some dramatically nice and twisty roads (for the area).

4 of 5
    Robermcm
    3 years ago
    for what it’s worth, there’s a feature in the inRoute app for curviness. It shows it on your current route and let’s you choose to create a route that picks the curviest roads. Another reason I like that app for route planning. 
    5 of 5
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    I'm pondering something like that here but the big difference between what we're doing and what everyone else is, is that we're focusing on the human element. A road can be super curvy and suck for a good number of reasons. Until a rider of your particular styles puts eyes on the road and can report back the human experience, you're not going to have much of an idea whether or not a given road is good or not.

More on this coming very soon. I'm on the verge of finishing up the first 1.0Alpha1 release of the new ride planner, which is a complete rewrite/redesign, that embodies this idea much more cleanly.