This is NOT ...Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 9
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    .. what I want my bike to look like a few days before a big trip.

The right rear turn signal failed. It wasn't the bulb. I thought it might be the turn signal relay, which was stupid since there's only one lead coming off the relay that governs both lights and the front right light was working.

I then figured it would be some corrosion fault at some junction and spent a few hours trying to find in the wiring harness where the single lead out of the turn signal relay diverges into the lines that go to the front and rear of the bike.

No joy. It's a jumbled mess of wrapped wire bundles.

Of course, I violated my first rule of diagnosis: start with the most recent change.

Trying to verify that it was a junction problem my thought was to see if I had connectivity from the turn signal relay assembly to some easily accessible point along the wire running to the rear.

I opened up the tubing which housed the wire bundle for the rear turn signals and brake light. The blue black line was the one powering the right rear light. To my shock, it was loose.

When the Ohlin's was installed I'm guessing they pinched the wire bundle crushing the bliue/black line. It took a while to separate completely.

I've spliced it back together and the turn signal works. Now it's just a matter of bolting everything back together again and hoping I didn't introduce any new faults as a result.
    2 of 9
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    .. what I want my bike to look like a few days before a big trip.

Ouch!

Yermo wrote:
    Now it's just a matter of bolting everything back together again and hoping I didn't introduce any new faults as a result.

As a software guy you know what happens when you change stuff. Good luck!
    3 of 9
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Yea, I hear ya. I'm concerned about having had to take the tank off and rummaging though all those connections.

I had installed quick-release connectors on the fuel lines which make removing the tank very easy. They keep the fuel system pressure intact so I don't even have to depressurize. However, I'm told you have to replace the o-rings on the connectors each time you remove them.
    4 of 9
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Good that you have the quick-disconnects. Too bad about the O-rings. Do you have any replacements?

I have a fuel line quick-disconnect, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Maybe I'll make sure to get extra O-rings before I do. Fuel injected bikes have quite a bit of pressure in the fuel line, don't they?
    5 of 9
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Yea, I keep a set of replacements. I'm just concerned because they are a bit old and o-rings due dry out. I'll be putting it back together shortly and I can test it out. I may go pick up a few more spares before the trip.

Yea, I forget what PSI they range but it's enough that you want to wear safety goggles when releasing the pressure. Having the quick disconnects rocks I have to admit.
    6 of 9
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    Having the quick disconnects rocks I have to admit.

I was just reading about these today and apparently it's easy to break the plastic quick disconnects. You can, however, buy chrome-plated brass units and they even cost two dollars less than the plastic quick disconnects from Aerostich:

Link #4593
    Ian
    11 years ago

CHROME-PLATED QUICK COUPLINGS Chrome-Plated Brass

CHROME-PLATED QUICK COUPLINGS Chrome-Plated Brass FT-LCD170-05-VITON FT-LCD230-04-VITON

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?...
    7 of 9
    toetailemoboy0421
    6 years ago
    Goodluck with your trip!
    8 of 9
    sensuikyoto
    6 years ago
    Hi
    yermo, Can I rewrite this post on my site? 
    [url]ponbee.com[/url] it will be a good alternative or additional information about the motor . Since i had the same bike before.
    9 of 9
    Yermo
    6 years ago
    sensuikyoto, that does not look like a motorcycle related site to me.