Our Riding in Spain 8/25/21Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 11
    It's the night before we leave for a week of riding the Pyrenees. I was going make a "Ride" of it on Miles-by-Motorcycle.com and post everything as we go but "Rides" are broke right now. As are "Ride Plans". And several other features which were previously working. A lot is not functional at the moment, but Yermo is aware of them, and it just takes time to work through them all. If frustration defeated me I would have quit Miles-by-Motorcycle years ago. It's been a slog, but I can see the light.

Yermo and I work together on the development. It's a bit more than Yermo builds it, I break it. I use  M-B-M it pretty much every day, often all day. As a cartographer of motorcycle routes it's beyond compare. I don't just come across code errors but I find ways to use the software Yermo had not expected.  This leads to changes which cause more errors which leads us to where we are right now. 

Nonetheless, I am going to try something - post the experience here in the Public Forum. It's not been done before and I'm always looking for new ways to test the system. 

2 of 11
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    Third parties randomly changing things, pulling products, or outright going out of business will be the death of me.
    3 of 11
    Robermcm
    2 years ago
    Information technology is exhausting!  I was in it for 40 years. Just staying in place is a hard job. Kudos to you guys for your labors of love on these mapping tools!
    4 of 11
    I've got a ride started, so this thread may be redundant. We'll see. I will send invites. This will be the first international ride posting on M-B-M. 
    5 of 11
    Robermcm
    2 years ago
    looks amazing. I’m jealous. 
    6 of 11
    House sitter arriving soon. Waiting on the car to pick us up.
    7 of 11
    Suren
    2 years ago
    I am on a riding pause since April due to an injury but I have had good success creating and sharing maps here over the last year or so. Tech updates can easily screw your baseline especially with open source.
    8 of 11
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    Suren, I'm sorry to hear you've been injured. Did you have an off?

Ages ago I managed to move serving the base maps in house. I had to do this since map providers kept either changing their terms of service or just going out of business.

But I still use third parties for route calculation and geocoding/address lookup. 

The third party we use for route calculation just made a major change that is now causing a bunch of our maps to break when we try to edit them.

I didn't want to have to do it at this time, but now I'm forced to find and implement an alternative.  

I've found an open source routing engine called GraphHopper that I'm trying to get running. In my initial testing it seems pretty solid with all kinds of interesting features that I would normally have to shell serious money out for. 

Fortunately, I have a good stack of some serious hardware to run this stuff on. 
    9 of 11
    Suren
    2 years ago
    Yermo, yes I had an off riding off road in April but getting back to riding now with my smaller 250s.

I am open to testing things out for you as you work on site improvements.
    10 of 11
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    I hope you're ok. I had a little off, only my second one on pavement ever, 5 weeks ago or so. My shoulder still hurts but I'm mostly ok. 

I'm constantly working on the software behind the site. Mostly I've been focusing on the mapping stuff. It's coming along and is more than usable now. (I've completely redone it if you haven't taken a look in a while.)

But the bug list is seemingly endless and there's still the mobile app and everything else to do. It's a long road.
    11 of 11
    I did transition to the regular "Rides" means to post this trip so this thread was redundant, a backup. This trip allowed me to at least do some basic testing of features to insure there were no hiccups outside the US, the maps, tracks, posts all worked. 

I'll go back in and add details to the trip now that I am home. I did the bulk of it with no cell service depending on wifi when we connected at our hotels each night. No cell service won't be as big an issue once Yermo is done with his tweaks.

He's done many updates while we were gone and I'm looking forward to seeing them and pushing the limits to insure they are solid. Tomorrow I get back to adding more than 1000 roads and routes, hard to count. I'm not quite half way through with building my library.