Pondering moving from the DR650SE to a KTM 890 Adventure (R)Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    I'm beginning to think maybe I need to move into the 21st century and replace my non-ABS bikes with more modern ones. 

To replace the DR I'm pondering a KTM 890 Adventure R. This review, forwarded to me by the author, is wonderfully done:

Link #258553
    Yermo
    2 years ago

Wonderful or Worrying? 2019 KTM 790 Adventure 12,000 Miles Review

wBW reviewer Jim Pruner takes us on a 12000-mile journey in this long-term review of the KTM 790 Adventure. Read on to learn everything you need to know about this bike and more.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/2019-k...
    3 of 23
    ryan647
    2 years ago
    Here is that article I mentioned, a good comparison of the current crop of middle weight adv bikes.

https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2021-middleweight...
    4 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    ryan647, cool. Thanks. Looking at this video now:
    Video #258567
    Yermo
    2 years ago

2021 Middleweight Adventure Motorcycle Shootout

BMW F850 GSA v. KTM 890 Adventure R v. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel v. Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro v. Yamaha Tenere 700Remember back in the day of group gatherin...
    5 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    It's notable how they try very hard in this 45 minute review not to say anything overtly negative about any of the bikes. 

But the thoughts about the BMW mass off road were note worthy. 

This review is leaning me even more towards the KTM 890 Adventure R ... clearly the seat will have to be replaced and there will have to be other modifications made, but it seems like for the kind of "ADV scenarios" I find myself in, you know, when I take a wrong turn, this bike might be the right answer. 
    6 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    You know, when I end up in places like this, where the DR650SE performed so admirably:

Video #258570
    Yermo
    2 years ago

EP 33 - A TALE of TWO DRAGONS

Most motorcycle riders know of the Tail of the Dragon Motorcycle Ride in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina. It draws people from all over the wor...
    7 of 23
    buffalo
    2 years ago
    interesting paragraph here, which seems to imply that things like the deeply rutted fire roads in GW National Forest wouldn't be a good ideas with this bike (unless you're ready to spend lots of repair money):

"As much as the 790 adventure flirts with the idea it can be ridden anywhere actual dirt bikes can be, a rider should wisely accept the fact that’s not the case. Even riding the softer sprung R model through gnarly single track trails will shorten the lifespan of the components significantly and cost you a lot of money in repairs.Adventure bikes are way too heavy to treat like dirt bikes. It’s no wonder that KTM only offers a 1-year warranty on the R model versus a 2-year warranty on the S model.  Hmmm…"
    8 of 23
    buffalo
    2 years ago
    Aside from the "serious single track" concerns, the various design issues and recommended mods and improvements, the bike does sound pretty impressive.  I find it interesting that the reviewer says that he's never left the "cornering abs" activated, so can't speak to its functionality. 

AS impressive as the bike sounds, I can't say I'm not left with the impression that some of the "old school toughness, durability, and cheap/simple repair capability" of the DRs will be lost in the exchange.
    9 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    I agree. The DR's are largely indestructible and easy to fix when they do have a problem. 

Little Snowbird Road, for as awful as it is, is not really considered gnarly single-track. Taskers Gap is more in line with what I think the author was talking about with it's endless ridiculous rock garden, but regardless, drops etc are likely to be much more expensive and problematic on a bike like this. 
    10 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    It seems a number of people are having cold start/bad idling issues with their new 890's:

Link #258693
    Yermo
    2 years ago

Cold start problem 890 adventure | Adventure Rider

Engin will start only on 1 cylinder (right), for +/- 1 minute (1000 +/- rpm), after, you will heard internal explosion, and left cylinder will start...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cold...
    11 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    I came across this which I think buffalo had mentioned. 

This is intriguing. A more long distance travel oriented bike based on the KTM 890:

12 of 23
    Something to consider - you can buy from a dealer new or a private seller used. Each has some good / bad points. If you're buying new from a dealer consider how far away the dealer is - that new bike will come with a warranty which will require dealer servicing for an interval. 
    13 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    America.Rides.Maps, certainly true.

I was just trying to remember the last time any of my current set of bikes were at a dealer. It's been quite a number of years now. 

There are a few KTM dealers not too far away, but of course Bob's BMW is just up the road. I just wish BMW had something a little more enduro oriented. 
    14 of 23
    What bike is right for anyone is a personal decision, typically more subjective than objective. The smaller BMW's are quite capable and sound and have all the nice bells and whistles and comfort and farkles but let's face it, if you're ready to race, KTM is the bike for you. 
    15 of 23
    Have you considered the Tenere?
    16 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    I have looked into and considered the Tenere. I've even considered the new KLR. I've even considered an Africa Twin, at which point I might as well go with an 850GS.

Given my recent experience, probably irrationally, I'm being heavily pulled towards models with "lean abs". 

The thing is I really don't want to buy a new bike. I really like my DR especially how I have it set up, but given the thousands of street miles I do on it, I'm questioning if the risk it represents, not having ABS, outweighs all the benefits. 

I'm thinking along the same lines with the Guest Bike. It also lacks ABS. 
    17 of 23
    I think you're putting too much weight on one occurrence. Stick with what you've got until a better reason comes along to embrace the cutting edge of performance, and when you do, do it with a passion to discover the perfect tool for your needs.
    18 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    I think that's wise counsel. I've been thinking I really don't want to change the fleet, but the Fear(tm) has been driving my thinking. I just can't out brake modern ABS, but then again I've been riding for decades and this was the first time I ran into real problems ... but it nearly cost me my life. It's a hard thing not to ponder.
    19 of 23
    Robermcm
    2 years ago
    ARM has a good point, but just safety and state of mind on a motorcycle might make you want to adjust your ride. Bad brakes was what initiated my search for a new bike. My 2000 Harley Fatboy was a disaster in braking. And cornering for that matter, with those low footboard. I figured I was one poorly judged, decreasing radius turn in the WV mountains from real trouble. 

So, along with wanting to get back into some dirt riding, I switched. To a used and beautifully farkled 2009 r1200 gsa. OMG, the difference was so confidence inspiring. And more relaxing. 

My rambling point being, it was as much an improvement in my head as anything else. And that made all my riding more fun, less worry. 

As for choices, my friend bought the T700 and it’s really a sweet bike. Not light weight at 450, but a good ‘adventure’ weight. I bought a 690 as a second bike for the more difficult riding, like the nebdr (vs mabdr), but it’s no road trip bike.  The T700 can do both easily. Awesome torquey engine. 

Enjoy your quandary! 
    20 of 23
    ryan647
    2 years ago
    I tend to agree with America.Rides.Maps on this one.
    21 of 23
    Ian
    2 years ago
    Yermo I admit I haven't read/watched the reviews you posted above, but thought I'd chime in with my limited experience in this area.

I'm about 5,000 miles into my 2021 Tenere 700 and have done a few hundred miles off the pavement.  It has everything I want and nothing I don't, meaning it has ABS, which can be completely turned off for off-road use, and does not have all the electronic add-ons that the KTMs and BMWs have, such as traction control or cornering ABS.  It's built more for off-road use than a lot of so-called adventure bikes and I have so far been very impressed with how it handles rough stuff.  Great fully adjustable suspension, proper off-road rims, and what has been referred to as the most reliable engine on two wheels with I think a 25,000 mile valve adjustment interval.  I added crash bars in anticipation of dropping it, which I haven't done yet.  The price is right and factory luggage is good, too.

Except for the initial break-in oil change, I don't expect to take it to the Yamaha dealership for anything.

For what it's worth, being stuck in British Columbia during the pandemic, my trips on the Tenere have been to Bella Coola, BC and a week in the Yukon, plus some local rides on logging roads. 

Picking a new bike is a personal choice and you should go with what you like.  The last new bike I bought before the Tenere was my 2000 Ducati Monster, which I finally broke down and bought because I had a "shitty brakes" moment.  That's a pretty good reason to upgrade, if you ask me.
    22 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    Thanks for this.  
    23 of 23
    Yermo
    2 years ago
    More ponderings.

Link #260182
    Yermo
    2 years ago

The Yamaha T n r 700 Compared to Everything - Motofomo

Alternatives to the Yamaha Ten r 700, from Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM etc. Middleweight adventure motorcycles that are good on the highway and off-road.

https://motofomo.com/the-yamaha-ten...