DR650 Phase-One Build OutSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 22
    ryan647
    last year
    Finally got myself a DR!
    Photo (271128))
    I'm getting it ready for inspection now.  As well as sourcing the set of must-have parts.  It came with a set of brand new Shinko E700s which I was initially going to sell and get a set of Pirelli MT21, but then I thought that I might as well just use what I have and spend that $250 on other parts.
    Link #271131
    ryan647
    last year

Pirelli MT21 Rallycross Tires | 32% ($55.83) Off! - RevZilla

Shop Inflation Fighters! Save up to 60% on 3,000+ items through Nov. 14. Save 32% ($55.83) today when you shop RevZilla for your Pirelli MT21 Rallycross Tires! Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guaranteed & Top of the Line Expert Service.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...
    Here's the list of parts I'm planning on.  Please comment/critique/make suggestions.

- Volt meter
    Link #271132
    ryan647
    last year

SUPER SLIM STYLE | Volt Meter - red - KOSO North America

Our Super Slim Style Volt Meter is equipped with a warning function to help you monitor the voltage. Available in red or blue digits.

https://kosonorthamerica.com/produc...

- PDU:  I have one of these on my VFR.  They are AWESOME!(seems to be a good price here): https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/rowe-electroni...

- Center stand: The T-Rex is a lot cheaper than the SW-Motech and looks lighter.  Any reason not to get this one?
    - Heated grips (have to check the length, but something like these with an integrated switch)
    Link #271134
    ryan647
    last year

APOLLO | Heated Grips | Universal Fit - 120mm - KOSO North America

Our Apollo heated grips are designed with an integrated adjustable thumb switch, which allows them to easily fit on any kind of motorcycles on the market.

https://kosonorthamerica.com/produc...
    - Skid plate
    - Case Covers
    - Oil Cooler Guard
    Questions
    - Since the plan is to put heated grips and connect a vest to it should I just go right ahead and do the stator and regulator/rectifier?
    - What's the minimal set of trail riding tools that I should have?  I know that I need to have spare tubes and a set of spoons to change a tube on the trail.  What else should I get?

2 of 22
    MrOleynik
    last year
    I carry essential tools in a PVC tool tube I built with hardware store parts and a spare 21" tube and spoons in a fender bag. To get the wheel of the ground I carry 20 feet of rope and use the sidestand as a pivot. Also added a dash plate to mount light switches and USB outlets with volt meter.
    3 of 22
    Robermcm
    last year
    I’ve ridden with friend who ride a dr650. It’s a super durable tank! Good luck with it!

I use mt-21’s on my 690 and when you’re finally ready, I’d recommend them if you do 70+% off-road on this bike. I rode the WYBDR on mt-21’s, rode back to the start on pavement in 100 degree heat, and have tread left for another 1,000 miles of riding. That’s about 3k total miles of often rugged riding. 
    4 of 22
    ryan647
    last year
    Robermcm, thanks for the feedback.  Yeah, I'm totally psyched about it.

I've done a bunch of reading and there are many suggestions to go with 20/80 tires if you want to ride in the dirt.  The only times I'm gonna be on pavement is when getting to dirt riding so I think that skew will work well.  If it doesn't, I can always got with another set.

Thanks for the feedback on the MT-21s.  I figure once I chew through the Shinkos I'll go with them, but I've got a brand new set sitting here so might as well use 'em
    5 of 22
    Yermo
    last year
    I have the SW-Motech center stand on my bike. It's been the only piece that actually fit perfectly. 

I wired a BMW accessory plug so I could plug in my vest. I would replace the headlight with an LED one. That frees up a bunch of power. I bought the upgraded alternator but never installed it. 

I like the voltmeter. The bar graph one i have on my bike just isn't accurate enough. 

Per Dave'd suggestion, getting a larger PVC tool carrier is kind of essential. 

For what it's worth I'm super happy with the Mission Trail-X tires I have on my bike. We spend so much time on pavement getting to dirt that having aggressive off-road tires tends to be more of a liability than a help.
    6 of 22
    ryan647
    last year
    Yermo, so you are still running stock alternator and rectifier?  Did you replace your headlight with an LED one?  If so, which one?

That's the same voltmeter I have on the VFR; works like a charm.  Also the same PDU.  I'll fabricate a bracket for it and mount it above the ECU.

Yeah, I'll need to make some bigger tool carrier too.  Good idea.

As far as tires go, I'm just going to go with the Shinkos that I have for now and figure out what to put on when I wear these out.
    7 of 22
    ryan647
    last year
    Yermocan you please send me a link to the LED headlight and canvas mat that you suggest?
    8 of 22
    buffalo
    last year
    I'm pretty sure he's still running the stock alternator and rectifier. As for the tires, if it were me, I'd dump the Shinkos (even if they have some life left) for Dunlop Trailmax which have been fantastic so far.
    9 of 22
    buffalo
    last year
    As for the LED headlight, I'm pretty sure he got one of the models Procycle sells
    10 of 22
    Yermo
    last year
    The exact light I have doesn't seem to be available but on their lighting page there are a few options. 

This is the tire changing mat I have which works well for me:

11 of 22
    ryan647
    last year
    What has everyone done for a tire pump?  I've seen a number of battery powered ones, or ones that you hook to the battery of the bike, but I'm thinking K.I.S.S. and just have a manual pump with no battery to go dead and not kill the battery on the bike.

I saw this one and it looked promising:

What do you guys think?
    12 of 22
    While a manual pump can work, it does have a significant disadvantage. The volume of bicycle tires compared to motorcycle tires is miniscule. It takes a while to pump up a bicycle tire, it will seem like forever to pump up a motorcycle tire. I've had good luck with the cyclepump and having a gauge to monitor the pressure is useful. If your leak repair didn't go as well as planned, you'll note the pressure does not increase. With a manual pump you won't get enough volume in fast enough to note the fail easily. 
    13 of 22
    ryan647
    last year
    Hmmm.  Good points to think about.  So you are asserting that the risk of killing a battery is low enough to get a powered compressor and save time and energy?
    14 of 22
    Suren
    last year
    I was in a similar dilemma when riding solo on an extended trip earlier this year. I have been using the CyclePump from Best for many years now and it has never failed. Even when getting a GSA tire bead to sit back on, it pumps enough volume quickly to get the job done. Draw on battery is minimal as I have pumped multiple bikes at the same time.

For my extended riding trip I had to travel very light and was also on smaller bike with tubed tires, so I opted to pack this hand pump (https://amz.run/6Uc9) instead of the somewhat bigger/heavier CyclePump. It worked well to top off as well as inflating flat tubed tires. Never tried this hand pump in a tubeless tire flat situation but I seriously doubt it would work.
    15 of 22
    Leave the bike running when you use the pump. I've yet to have any problems with batteries being drained by the cyclepump. As for batteries, I also carry a small jump starter as the issue of dead batteries has come up several times. 
    16 of 22
    Yermo
    last year
    I have the little Aerostich mini pump. I've used it a number of times on the Trans Am Trail trip without issue. 

The DR does have a pretty weak battery but if you get rid of the H4 bulb and replace it with a Cyclops LED it'll give you some extra, and as Wayne suggests if you're concerned leave the bike running although I never do.
    17 of 22
    Ian
    last year
    Hey guys, just curious… Why the DR instead of a DR-Z? 
    I don’t think I’ve ridden a DR, but I’ve done some off-road riding on DR-Zs and they are great for that. I admit that the DR is probably a happier bike on long stretches of pavement.
    18 of 22
    Yermo
    last year
    The 650 is not as tall, a little more powerful, tends to be less expensive. 
    19 of 22
    ryan647
    last year
    The reason I got one was because it is a better choice for stretches when you have to slab it for a while.
    20 of 22
    Ian
    19 days ago
    Ryan, how's that DR650 looking these days?
    21 of 22
    ryan647
    13 days ago
    Hi Ian.  The DR is in good shape.  I got a luggage rack on it so I'm now ready for some multi-day adventures.

Right now, I'm focused on getting my enclosed trailer build-out finished so that I can be ready for the upcoming track season.

Any plans to be out this way sometime soon?
    22 of 22
    Ian
    12 days ago
    Glad to hear that you're doing off-road AND track.  Nice.
    I'll next be in the area in July.  With a little luck, I might even have time for a ride.  I had a nice day ride with Yermoand buffalo last time I was there, last August.
    Do you know what days you'll be racing?  I'd love to go to a race if I could.