I've been using Basecamp for years with my Garmin 60csx. Now that I've been using a smartphone with OsmAnd+ I am wondering if I should still keep...
Documentation is lacking, but I'll try to find some time tomorrow or the next day to write a HOWTO on creating maps.
The gist of it is:
1. go to your maps list.
- clicking the menu icon in the upper left of the page next to the MBYMC logo.
- select the first item which is your user name
- select My Maps.
2. Click the New Map. A window should appear displaying a map with your location (or a wide world map if your location could not be found.)
- If you've got the world view, enter the name of the nearest city and state in the search box in the upper left. e.g. Robbinsville, NC)
3. You can pan and zoom with the mouse or by touch on a phone/tablet.
4. Under the search box there's a pull out drawer button (>>) where you can give your map a name and a description and apply some tags to it.
5. Under that is the GPX upload button. To upload a track just click it and click Select File and select the GPX file from your computer or phone you'd like to upload. GPX works. The other formats are currently broken. Certify that you own the GPX file. Please don't share commercial routes, for exam Sam's Trans Am Trail routes he sells.
6. The routes, tracks, and markers in the GPX file will be placed on the map.
7. Delete any markers that you don't want included (for example if you have a marker for home, etc) by clicking on the marker and selecting REMOVE.
8. The same works for tracks, routes, and waypoints.
9. Each track, route, and marker is saved separately when you save the map. (So you can actually search for individual tracks or routes apart from the whole map. More on that later.)
10. By clicking on a track or route you can give it a name, a description, and apply some tags to it.
11. For routes you can drag the waypoints around, add waypoints, or remove them. You can also insert waypoints.
12. For tracks you can use the selection and cut tool (box button on the left) to cut out sections of a track.
13. You can add new routes by clicking anywhere on the map and selecting "start a new route".
14. You can save save the map at any time and then come back to it by selecting EDIT from the dropdown next to the map on your maps list.
15. When the map is saved a screenshot is created (may take a few minutes) which you can easily use to post to other sites.
There are a ton more features including adding of points of interest, marking sections of a route or track as unpaved, adding photos, videos,etc. I'll find some time to do a proper write-up.
There are likely to be bugs and usability problems. Please let me know if you run into any problems. I can only fix it if I know about it.
(And MikeAustin, sorry it's taken me so long to get to the writeup.)