TransAmTrail Planning ThreadSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 38
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    For the time being, I'll post trip planning to this thread until I have a chance to build the ride scheduler. 

I just talked to bruce. The idea was floated that maybe he and a buddy could meet up with us as we go through New Mexico. It looks like we'll be coming within about 250 miles of Los Alamos. We'll have to see how the timing works out but I think it would be great to be able to ride together a bit out there. Or maybe, if there's time, we could swing by his place if it happens to fall in the middle of the week. 
    2 of 38
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Today is grey and cold...perfect wrench day. I'm returning DR Yang (lol Dr. Yang?) to the original ride height. Shouldn't be too hard to do and the instructions in the manual are pretty straightforward.
    3 of 38
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    yea, it shouldn't be too bad of a job but you may need to get the taller side stand.
    4 of 38
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    #DR #yang#shock #suspension #DR650 Just over 2 hours start to finish working by myself. While at it I set ride height where I wanted, adjusted the preload, and also did some tuning on the front and put in new spacers for height/preload. Will need to buy/fabricate a longer sidestand (maybe, we'll see). It's now a good 1 1/2 (maybe a little more) taller with MUCH better feel.
    Photo #5266
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Photo #5267
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Dr now taller
    5 of 38
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    If only it was that easy to make yourself, um, taller...
    6 of 38
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    jpcfjr LOL! No kidding. I loved working on the DR, it was so easy to get at things and the way every part went together just made sense. And yes, if it were possible to flip around some ankle bones, move a set of spacers from one end of the femur to the other, and reattach the knees at a slightly different spot and gain 2".... 
    7 of 38
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Mighty DR "Yang" has a new license plate:

Photo #5280
    rshaug
    11 years ago

8 of 38
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    It's a bummer that that domain name is taken by someone else. I did manage to get m-by-mc when I registered miles-by-motorcycle. 
    9 of 38
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Well...slightly less of a bummer...I own m-by-m.org and m-by-m.net
    10 of 38
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Found a site with all of the TAT maps in Garmin files, in high resolution, plus the high res daily maps in jpg, and full google maps and Google earth files for pre-planning. the sections in the 30s look simply amazing. eing able ot preview the sections in Google Earth is outstanding. He also has a full set of waypoint files for Garin that have all the gas stations etc.: 
    https://sites.google.com/site/gpskevin/adventurerides/t...

https://sites.google.com/site/gpskevin/tat-in-google-ma...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw2pKVwVJim3dDJPN0poak1...
    11 of 38
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Excellent find!
    12 of 38
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Yermo I made a PDF of the entire TAT (49 slides), how do I post it here? I'll also email it to you. It doesn't have the insane detail of the GPS route (which is super cool by the way), or the Google Earth KML's but it does give a great view of the segments and has the suggested stops. Looks like there will be a few days where several segments are done in one day (especially in the east).
    13 of 38
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    And yeah, it's going to be AWESOME:

14 of 38
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    There is no facility for "file attachments" at the moment. I will add it to the features request list.

Bug Report (5606)

Attach PDFs

Suggested by rshaug(https://adv-traveler.com/261) , add the ability to attach PDF and other files to posts to the forum. For extra points, explore the possibility of finding a widget to display the PDF's inline in some nice fashion.

11 years ago byYermo
    15 of 38
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I agree. This is going to rock.
    16 of 38
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    GPX in email
    17 of 38
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Got them. Excellent. 

When I'm done we'll be able to upload the GPX's to a map. Work with them there by adding points of interest, waypoints, routes, etc and export them back out as GPX.
    18 of 38
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    A behind-the-scenes road report from the producer of a film about the TransAmTrail. It provides some valuable insights into what we'll be in for.

19 of 38
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    So after much consideration, I've decided to postpone the Trans Am Trail trip to another year. Instead, once I come back from Seattle, the plan is to just continue working on the site until I have to go and find a source of funds.
    20 of 38
    isurfne
    10 years ago
    Feel free to come do some programming up in NH if you need a break from the DC life. We do have internet up here. And some roads worth riding too....
    21 of 38
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    You make a compelling argument.
    22 of 38
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    I would do a ride to NH as well (almost all my family is in an arc from Chatham to Lake Winni). there are some fantastic roads around the Kancamagus Highway, and on the other side of the river lots and lots of roads throug the Green Mountains.
    23 of 38
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I"d like to see if I can get at least a rudimentary mobile app complete and use that trip as a test.
    24 of 38
    Yermo
    8 years ago
    Thoughts of riding the length of the TAT are once again invading my consciousness. I came across this video today of a section that is considered difficult:

Video #11528
    Yermo
    8 years ago

TAT Warloop RD

This is going up Warloop Rd West to East Oct 2015. The TAT goes down Warloop East to West. The real issue with Warloop is it is the first really rocky and st...
    25 of 38
    Yermo
    8 years ago
    Yermo
    8 years ago
    Notable Road (11531)
    Warloop Road, AK

Warloop Road, AK

This is part of the #transamtrail and is considered a difficult section.

(Download Screenshot)