"Mighty DR Yang" Suspension funSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 4
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Sooo.... After deciding to return Yang to its factory height I figured I would take advantage of the opportunity to tune things up, get the various adjustments done, and maybe do a little upgrade here and there. This involves going to a different rear spring, setting the ride height, the preload (set for loaded), and doing a couple of things with the front while it's disassembled. 

Removal and replacement of the rear shock assemble came first. Returning the DR to original ride height involved flipping the spring perch, and remounting in a different bolt location. I set the height and preload and will no doubt be readjusting a couple of more times. Of note, the preload wrench for the Ninja works great on the preload rings on the DR.

Photo #5355
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Photo #5356
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Photo #5357
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Next is the front suspension. I ordered a couple of parts for this so reassembly will be another day or so, but here is the disassembly (pretty easy stuff).

Photo #5363
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Photo #5359
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Photo #5358
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Photo #5360
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Photo #5362
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Photo #5361
    rshaug
    11 years ago

#DR #DR650 #suspension #yang #shock
    2 of 4
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    What upgrades are you doing to the front end?
    3 of 4
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Was thinking cartridge emulator. maybe springs. Will rebuild them first and use new spacers and see what it feels like for a while. Honestly it wasn't bad, just needed to put the height back and add a little tiny bit of preload.
    4 of 4
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    The front #suspension , including #forks , has been disassembled, rebuilt, repositioned, and put back together and back on the bike. Also a 2hour job total. I think now that I have a better understanding of how it all goes together I could probably take apart and put back both front and rear in less than 4 hours. The #DR is an awesome bike to work on. It is certainly taller now and I'll need to fabricate or buy a new side stand.