Ride Report - March 30th Ride Through The Mountains of VirginiaSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 3
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    buffalo couldn't join us but asked me to post some photos from the ride rshaug and I took yesterday. The weather was simply gorgeous. We traced back over the big 211 to Fort Valley Road route that was so good. Believe it or not, there was snow around Skyline Drive. The switchbacks on 211 were covered in sand and gravel making for an interesting ride down. Rob practiced the Zen of emergency braking downhill in gravel. It was impressive.  We had lunch at that same restaurant as before, Uncle Bucks I think it was called. From there we took a different route out of Lurray opting for this wonderful little twisty road, State Road 675 which went all the way up and connected to Fort Valley Road. Once out to 66 we opted to take 55 instead of superslab and encountered quite a few colorful towns and people along the way. A good day of riding.
    Photo #5441
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Reprising our roles
    Photo #5438
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    The Old Store
    Photo #5431
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Hills Before 211
    Photo #5432
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Before Route 17
    Photo #5435
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Snow on 211
    Photo #5436
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Gravel in the road.
    Photo #5437
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    State Road 675
    Photo #5440
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Creek
    2 of 3
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    It was a terrific day for sure. That particular switchback with the 5mph sign was remarkable; off camber, downhill, and COVERED in loose gravel and pea gravel. Nasty. I think the back road from Lurray to Fort Valley Road, a great #VA #road , will be the new default for that route as it was very pretty and the road was in good shape with very little by way of traffic or build-up. I think we will def need to rerun this route two or three more times before the #Gap trip, it was a surprisingly good scale model of the #Gap area roads. #roadride #ride #roads #va #Lurray #Skyline
    3 of 3
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Looks like you guys had a great ride--thanks for the pics and write up! I hope to be on the next one