Trail Ride / Camping 20APRSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 27
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    It looks like Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV System is open again. I'd love to spend the day next Sat, the 20th (now that Josh doesn't need the truck
     )abusing the DR off road with an overnight camping at Little Fort campground. I'm going to take the DR in the truck so that I can also bring tools, supplies, and because since this will be the first significant dirt riding I've done in a while I want to be able to being the bike home if I break it (and can also bring back anyone elses that goes). I plan on bringing a cooler, tent, fire supplies, etc since will not have any restrictions on supplies with the truck. Also, wanted someplace to lock up valuables etc while banging around the trails. 

If any of our riding friends want to join us for the overnight camping and campfire but not the dirt trail riding I will remind all that this is where Fort Valley is and some of our fave VA roads to ride. Others can spend the day riding the roads and we all gather that evening around the camp fire. Just a thought.
    2 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I'm in.
    3 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    bump
    4 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    The MIghty DR Yin is packed and ready to go. I've packed pretty much most things I intend to take on the TransAm Trail, so it's complete overkill for a weekend jaunt. But this test-pack has already highlighted some issues.

I'm much less impressed with the Wolfman saddle bags than I had hoped to be. I'm not sure how these bags are going to hold up under punishing conditions Out There. 

Space is definitely more of a premium on the DR than I'm used to. I thought with the bag,  the rack and the tank bag that it would be comparable to the BMW's, but it simply isn't. The lack of space to carry gear is a serious constraint. At the present moment, I don't know how I'm going to pack for the TransAm Trail. My feeling, at present, is that this is going to take a few trail runs to get right. 
    5 of 27
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Ahh, wish I had been able to ride down that way. Caught up with other stuff this weekend.
    6 of 27
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    Rob, Yermo, what happened?   Did you make it back?   Did you have fun?  Did the bears get you????
    7 of 27
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    We had a blast! Some epic, difficult, and technical terrain to be sure but the DRs proved to be pretty darn good offroad. We took them up some ATV only single-track that proved very difficult for 400lb dual-purpose bikes on dual-purpose tires, and several stretches of washed out dual-track hill climbs that were "exciting". The camping area was nicer than expected (although we'll remember to bring our own firewood next time). We also found some incredibly good roads around the area, truly excellent riding. I'm sure Yermo will put some pics up once he can stand/walk/type
     I think he's a little sore today, it was quite the workout all weekend.
    8 of 27
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Here are some of the trails we went on

This was the easiest of them all, although still not "easy". Watch the front tire in the video for a sense of the terrain, and it doesn't do a good job showing the elevation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xWQn2mkYLk

This next one was the most difficult trail we did. On one stretch we had to push the DRs up about 20 yards, was just too technical for them. Although the DRs did better than expected they are still big, heavy, and compromised (with compromise tires). Note that a good rider on a proper trail bike crawled up these sections and had to stop a couple of times. this particular stretch was stupid to do on the DRs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3Lpea3GNc

This is the trail I enjoyed the most (433 and 457) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeLE2Bug98o
    9 of 27
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    For reference the above trails are on map1 and map2 in the following: 
    10 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I can honestly say I've never done anything close to this difficult on a motorcycle before. Relative to my experience, this was a trial by fire, but it was a blast. I would not, however, recommend that anyone take dual-sport bikes on any of these trails. Even the easiest of OHV trails were ridiculously difficult.

After this weekend, I've come to realize that I can't really say I have any off-road experience. I've done casual trail riding and some gravel pits but not "real" off-road; well, at least not until this weekend.  

Over the next few days I'll try to write up some trip reports. In the mean time, here are some photos and video frame grabs that capture some of it.

Photo #5784
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Trip Overview
    Photo #5785
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    ATV Easy and OHV Easy Trails.

ATV Easy and OHV Easy Trails.

Point 3 we found impassable.
    Photo #5791
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Gear
    Photo #5790
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Me on the DR
    Photo #5786
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    The Mighty DR Yang
    Photo #5793
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    The Usual Suspects
    Photo #5789
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Note the Background
    Photo #5787
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Photo #5792
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    The Hidden Valley
    Photo #5800
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    As it should be.
    Photo #5820
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Mud
    Photo #5809
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    More Mud
    Photo #5810
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    No Turning Right
    Photo #5813
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    WTF
    Photo #5824
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Photo #5815
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    A Calm Part
    Photo #5818
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    WTF 2
    Photo #5817
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    More Easy.
    Photo #5819
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    More Mud.
    Photo #5806
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Photo #5812
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Chef Rob

Day 2, a small taste.

Photo #5828
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    The Hard Spot
    Photo #5830
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    This is Why

Said, upon leaving, that I probably wouldn't want to do these trails again but after looking at some of the video I find myself thinking "yea, that really was a lot of fun, we should go do it again some time."
    11 of 27
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    With the exception of that one trail segment, I would do it all again tomorrow. The harder ATV trails are suited to 4-wheel drive ATVs and to serious trail bikes with low gearing, soaring suspension travel, and feather weight. NOT a dual-purpose or even a large overland trail bike. Everything else was super fun. Some of the hill climbs were a riot...the kind where you visualize your line and ten gas-n-go, you knew you got the line right because a few seconds later you were on the top - after an epic bouncing, sliding, tire killing good time

There is a very real difference between taking a bike on some dirt paths versus riding actual ATV trails which are laid out to be challenging and gear specific. An "easy" ATV trail is starting from a point that has already been downselected. An "easy" ATV trail is already too difficult, tight, and loose for OHVs and any vehicle over 50" wide. So it isn't an easy path, it's already a HARD path...just relatively easier than the most technical ATV trails, which are literally impassable to anything else and combine needing a dedicated machine with an expert rider. If we were on something like KX-250s or WR-250s with rock tires the "hard spot" wouldn't have been so hard and that difficult trail would have been a lot easier. On big-ass DRs it was simply mismatched.
    12 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    It seemed to me that some of those trails could be used for trials bike contests. ;) 

It was a great deal of fun and I would gladly do it again albeit after I've gotten some additional armor. Those rocks were wicked sharp. 

I would like to do some less rocky trails. I don't mind the elevations or hill climbing but the rocks/boulders were rough on man and machine alike, although the DR's certainly proved their mightiness.  
    13 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Michael Milnerforwarded me this video of an X-Challenge at Taskers Gap:

Video #5841
    Yermo
    10 years ago

BMW G650 at Taskers Gap on Vimeo

Vimeo is the home for high-quality videos and the people who love them.

If my helmet cam hadn't been facing down the video we shot would look not unlike this, although I suspect he was on a harder ATV trail.
    14 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Sections of the video are a lot rockier than what we did, I think, but it gives you a feel for what it's like.
    15 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    You know, thinking about it, if it hadn't been for the large loose rocks, the boulders and the huge roots sticking out in places, there wasn't anything there that would have been all that difficult.

It really was just the rocks that made it difficult.
    16 of 27
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Sounds like you guys overall had an awesome time. As for the trails themselves, it sounds like an all-dirt lightweight 2 stroke in the 125-250cc size range (i.e., very light with plenty of power) might have been a bit easier to throw around in the rough parts.But unless the TAT is as challenging, it appears that you guys have the right bikes for the job
    17 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    buffaloThis was really slow low gear work. I don't think a two-smoke would have been the right bike. Think four wheel drive low. A torquey very low geared bike with grunt at the extreme low RPM range would have been appropriate. I think I had a slight advantage over Rob since I have the larger rear sprocket on my DR.

Any thoughts of lowering the suspension or changing out that rear sprocket are very much gone. 

You should come by and try the DR sometime. The only place I don't enjoy it is on the interstate. It does everything else surprisingly well. Fort Valley Road and the surrounding twisties were quite a bit of fun.
    18 of 27
    Ian
    10 years ago
    Sounds great.  I imagine if you and your bikes can hold up over that stuff for a weekend you'll do fine on the TAT.  'course, without the pickup you might have to do without the Weber.  I am picturing The Far Side's "Hey! Look what Zog do!" cartoon.
    19 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Yea, after this weekend I have no fear of the TAT. I think the bikes will do just fine.

Carrying food is going to be challenging so I'm going to have to practice that a bit. We did discover a much better way to make coffee so the espresso maker will likely get retired.
    20 of 27
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Ian Trucks sure are handy I find though that there are an amazing number of really excellent dishes that can be cooked on a stick, of a variety and quality that would probably surprise most people. Yermo I really don't think food will be that big of an issue, if your diet restricted proteins and complex carbs (veggies etc) or we were gong to be more than 12 hours away from resources it would be a more complex answer...but seeing how you eat I don't think it's going to be much of a deal. 
    21 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Yea, I suspect you are right.

I ordered the wolfman expedition bag from Revzilla last night and of course it arrived today so I should have more than enough cargo space. Once I have a little time I'm going to do a full-on test pack of everything I intend to take. 

So when are we doing the next camping trip?
    22 of 27
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    I rolled #Yang out into the sun to move Ninja around and took the opportunity to grab a couple of pics. Obviously it hasn't been washed since last weekend LOL. Now this is what a DR should look like

If you look closely you'll see that the bash plate has been christened and the rear brake lever has been "repositioned" a bit. A torch, vise and hammer and it will be good as new. One thing is for sure, the DR can take a beating.

Photo #5925
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #5923
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #5921
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #5924
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #5922
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #5926
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #5927
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #5928
    rshaug
    10 years ago

23 of 27
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Yermo I'll pull the pillion pegs off on Sunday when I do the other repairs. If not before, I'll get them to you next weekend.
    24 of 27
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Thank you!
    25 of 27
    Ian
    10 years ago