Triumph Speed Triple R - First ImpressionsSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 5
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    Today I rode the TSTR to the lake, my first significant ride.  First off I'm greatly impressed with the package.  Great handling and brakes and the instrumentation is very good.  The slab (95 south from mile 152 to 118) was better than I expected insofar as wind was concerned.  I was initially expecting to purchase a fly screen to help deflect wind on the highway but I'm now rethinking this.  

Ergonomics are spot on with all the switchgear exactly where I'd expect it.  Only the numbers on the trip computer are a little small for this old man who is fighting the bifocal thing. 

The seat is quite comfortable and the riding position is nice too.  Power is available in copious amounts in all gears when north of 3,000 rpm and the exhaust note is fine at highway cruising speeds but really gets evil (in a good way) accelerating through 6k. 

Once in the twisties I started experimenting with the handling.  I was limited by traffic but from what I could tell I'm really going to like this bike at Deals Gap. 

Fuel mileage appears very good on the slab..well over 50 mpg at 75 mph. Range looks to be over 200 miles cruising...substantially less during more spirited activity I suspect. 

A note on the power, there is plenty but it's not overwhelming or substantially more than the FJR such that I can't handle it.  It feels just right to me which is good because I was worried I was getting into too much power.  

So far so good.  Once I solve the storage issue I'll be ready for the May trip. 
    2 of 5
    Jay
    10 years ago
    Congratulations! I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen! Glad you got it on time for the gap.
    3 of 5
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    Thanks Jay!

Final thoughts on the day:  After 126 miles, I averaged over 50 mpg and roughly twice as many smiles per gallon!  And that's what really counts, no?
    4 of 5
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    A few glamour shots from today at the lake...
    Photo #5767
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago

Photo #5769
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago

Photo #5768
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago

Photo #5773
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago

Photo #5770
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago

Photo #5772
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago

Photo #5771
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago

Photo #5774
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago

5 of 5
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Congratulations! I'll be very interested to hear what you think of it down at Deal's Gap.