Gear Keeper - retractable mount for an adventure cameraSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 9
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    I keep forgetting to post about this thing. Getting the camera out to take photos is often prohibitively time consuming.

I mounted this little gadget onto my gear using the little needle screw. I went through the flap on one of the pockets.

The adventure camera gets attached to the retractable lanyard. Simply pull the camera to take a photo and then let it go and it snaps back into place. 

Link #57692
    Yermo
    5 years ago

Amazon.com : Gear Keeper RT4-5972 Small Flashlight Retractor Combo Mount (Snap / Threaded Stud) with Q/C-II Split Ring Accessory : Diving Clips : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Gear Keeper RT4-5972 Small Flashlight Retractor Combo Mount (Snap / Threaded Stud) with Q/C-II Split Ring Accessory : Diving Clips : Sports & Outdoors

https://www.amazon.com/RT4-5972-Fla...
    (affiliate link)
    2 of 9
    I'm going to try this with a GoPro. 
    3 of 9
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    Hmm. I use it with my adventure camera which works out quite well but not sure how well it would work with a GoPro.
    4 of 9
    I aim to find out. It's only $20.
    5 of 9
    Zubb
    5 years ago
    I bought one of these years ago but my camera was too heavy for it to work effectively.  This one has a 9oz retraction force.  Is that enough for you?
    They also have one with 12oz retraction force.  Do you know what your camera weighs, and do you wish you had a little more retraction force so the camera doesn't flop down beside your feet if you drop it?

Thanks for sharing this.
    6 of 9
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    I don't know how much my camera weighs but if I let it go it retracts but not that fast. The advantage for me is that the lesser force makes it easier to hold the camera steady with my left hand while riding.
    7 of 9
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    So it looks like the one I linked to above with only 9oz of force is not strong enough. I bought one and finally tried it only to realize it was not the same as the one I already had. 

I'm ordering this one which has 24oz of force to see if it works better. I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it.

Link #63493
    Yermo
    5 years ago

Amazon.com : Hammerhead Industries Gear Keeper RT4-5973 Compact Console Retractor Combo Mount (Snap/Threaded Stud) with Q/C-II Split Ring and Lanyard Accessory : Fly Fishing Tools : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Hammerhead Industries Gear Keeper RT4-5973 Compact Console Retractor Combo Mount (Snap/Threaded Stud) with Q/C-II Split Ring and Lanyard Accessory : Fly Fishing Tools : Sports & Outdoors

https://www.amazon.com/Hammerhead-I...
    (affiliate link)
    8 of 9
    Yermo
    5 years ago
    Third time's a charm. I apologize for linking to the wrong item. I've now gone through three of these but have finally found the right one. It's this one:
    Link #64742
    Yermo
    5 years ago

Amazon.com : Gear Keeper RT4-5272 Deluxe Instrument/Gear Tether 3 Mounting Options (Snap/Velcro/Stud) with 3 Q/C Split Ring and Lanyard Accessories : Fishing Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Gear Keeper RT4-5272 Deluxe Instrument/Gear Tether 3 Mounting Options (Snap/Velcro/Stud) with 3 Q/C Split Ring and Lanyard Accessories : Fishing Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...
    (affiliate link)
    It's strong enough to hold my pocket adventure camera and I have just used it on a 6 day tour through West Virginia and North Carolina.
    9 of 9
    My experiment tethering a GoPro camera this way is over. I carried the camera everywhere but so rarely used it. The tether was too restrictive and cumbersome. I still have the tether, it works great.