CYCLE GEAR OPENS IN SPRINGFIELD, VASubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 7
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    This is awesome, only a couple of minutes away from the house
    http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/02/cycle-gear-opens-i...
    2 of 7
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    Huh.  I get their catalogs (got one today in fact) but I've never bought anything from them.
    3 of 7
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Interesting. Once opened in Laurel recently, too.
    4 of 7
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    -edit-
    I sometimes suggest it to those just getting into motorcycling who have very limited budgets. 

Doing a quick search I came up with this discussion:

Link #6039
    Yermo
    10 years ago

BILT Motorcycle Gear - Anyone know anything about this brand? - PNW Riders

Cycle Gear is having a sale on this brand of motorcycle gear. Prices seem good, but I live too far from a store to check it out. Anyone seen or tried

http://pnwriders.com/reviews/147348...

We got AGrip boots and gloves from them. I concur with the forum discussion, the boots, at only $70, were surprisingly well made. The $29 gloves are also not bad. I was very unimpressed with the rest of their gear but it's been some months since I've stepped inside.  
    5 of 7
    AGrip
    10 years ago
    The boots that I got there are amazing for the price.  Good armor, comfortable, and inexpensive.  The gloves are also pretty good.  I went back and got some inexpensive sunglasses there, as well.  Definitely worth checking out.
    6 of 7
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    I would caution about statements like this "
    They specialize in very low-end cheaply made gear...." They also sell your beloved Arai, and many other top shelf brands. I would rather that someone who can only afford a $50 jacket get a $50 leather jacket that only survives one fall....because that's all it needs to do. Plenty of high-end brands prove to do no better than cheap brands, and there is excellent documented testing showing "cheap" helmets exceeding very expensive helmets. It reminds me of comments I get about my car, things like "wow, THIS is a Hyundai?". It's kind of ridiculous especially when you consider that brands such as Mercedes and BMW bank far more on their brands reputation than their actual reliability and build quality. Mercedes for example has designed their doors to "sound solid" so people think they're solid. BMW plays recorded engine sounds through the stereo because they want their customers expectations of what the engine should sound like to be met. Industry has been exceptional at social engineering and psychology. I'd rather use the products that I like and trust because "I" like and trust them, not because some forum, ad, brand, representative, or "generally accepted opinion" tells me I should. Show me the data that says they suck and I'm way more open to the idea. It reminds me of all the hundreds of postings on forums about how a particular bike handles, tire performs, or part performs, from people who have never even used it. Sorry for the rant, but this is one of those things that really bugs me.
    7 of 7
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    -edit-
    Go into the store. Look at what they have to sell.

The one that I saw up here in Laurel did not have much in the way of reputable brands. The majority of gear I saw there did not impress me. It had a "Dollar Store" feel to it. There are some items that are acceptable, but you have to know what you're looking at.

But, I agree. There is a place in the market for stores like these. I'm just not their target demographic.

YMMV.