Need recommendation on technical cooling layerSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 15
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    I am looking for a technical base layer to wear under my leather jacket in the hot weather.  This is for skin protection from abrasion from the jacket liner in the event of a fall.  I am envisioning a thin material that will wick moisture away and not add much if anything to the heat I'm already feeling.

When I crashed last year I sustained a decent abrasion on my forearm from the jacket.  I'd like to prevent this.

Any suggestions? 
    2 of 15
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    Oh, and I've already given myself the "don't crash" recommendation. 
    3 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    I currently wear Alpinestars base layer. Moister wicking high tech fabric (that also makes getting in and out of leathers easy). I sometimes use UnderArmor as well. Long sleeve shirts and "long john" style pants. 
    Link #6192
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Alpinestars Summer Tech Performance Long Pants - RevZilla

Purchase the Alpinestars Summer Tech Performance Long Pants at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alp...

I'm also going to try out 
     this HeatOut gear, it's just too cheap to not try : 

4 of 15
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    The Heat Out looks like the ticket.  Maybe I'll try to swing by the Cycle Gear store in the next 7 days.
    Thanks!
    5 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Big open house tomorrow and Sunday for the grand opening
    6 of 15
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    OK, I may have to run up to Laurel to check this out--given the heat last year.  I've never tried the wicking stuff, but it may be time.
    7 of 15
    isurfne
    10 years ago
    take some info from all kinds of athletes and hikers. Wicking is the way to go. cotton kills. wear it to stay cool in the heat and wear it to stay dry and survive in the cold. If you arent set on buying a brand sold by revzilla check out EMS and REI. they both have great products for any weather conditions as a base layers. 
    8 of 15
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Actually, there's an REI just a couple of miles from here--I'll try to go check it out--thanks for the tip.
    9 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    isurfne Joel, jpcfjr and I are trying out the "Heat Out" product at Cycle Gear. It's $15 right now, that's cheap! If it's even half decent that is a really good deal. I've also found that there can be some good sale prices on the usual tech shirts/shorts/pants at Dick's Sporting Goods.
    10 of 15
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    I went to Cycle Gear this evening in Laurel and picked up a Sedici base layer set.
    11 of 15
    AGrip
    10 years ago
    I just ran up to Cycle Gear in Laurel and got some, on Duncan's recommendation.  For $15/$20, it's hard to pass up.  I look forward to hearing what you guys think about it after this week. 
    12 of 15
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    It seemed that those that got them, liked them very much. The down side seems to be that when the temperature drops they amplify the effect.  buffalo, what do you think about them?

I did find myself regretting not having gotten a set to try for this trip. There were a few days that were quite oven like.
    13 of 15
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    So far, I've been very impressed with the "heat outs" especially. It's completely counter intuitive to wear a "long john" style base layer, but they pull heat away from the body with the slightest breeze. In fact, for the ride home on a cool day (upper 60s) it was verging on uncomfortably cool.  As for the Sedici alternative, they didn't seem to have nearly the cooling effect of the "heat outs".
    14 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    I wore three different base layers this past week; heat-out, Alpinestars, and Nike Air. The Alpinestars have the highest build quality and provide exceptional comfort but are quite expensive. The Heat Out gear from a cost competitive basis simply cant be beat. The offer an amazingly effective level of apparent temp reduction and are dirt cheap. They also make getting leathers on and off easy and greatly reduce "leathers funk". Ive found the i can simply layer a long sleeve t-shirt over them to reduce the cooling effect fairly substantially when it starts to get chilly. I also have base layers specifically for keeping heat in that work great on cold days.

Appropriate base layers make extended time on the bike far more comfortable and allow longer, sharper concentration - being comfortable is key to being able to focus elswhere.
    15 of 15
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    After this week, and how comparatively uncomfortable I was, I'm sold on base layers and regret not picking something up before the trip.