Gear recommendations for a new rider?Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 20
    Sitwon
    10 years ago
    I've been looking for my first motorcycle jacket primarily by watching all the videos on RevZilla. This evening I made it up to Bob's BMW for about an hour before they closed and tried on a bunch of different jackets.

I often have a hard time finding jackets that fit me because I have broad shoulders for my height. This time time was no exception. The jackets that had the right shoulder width tended to be very long in the sleeve on me. Does anyone have a recommendation for jackets or manufacturers that might be cut more for my body type?

Some of the jackets I tried on were:
    REV'IT! Ignition 2 - Fit the best, but the price tag is a bit higher than I'm looking to spend.
    Olympia Nomad - Second favorite of the options I tried. Long in the sleeve, but the straps at the elbow helped.
    I also tried the REV'IT Tarmac and Tornado, and a few others I don't recall the names of.
    2 of 20
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Try AGVSport. I've had great luck with them.
    3 of 20
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I have some Revit gear but I find it's just not robust enough for serious use.

You may want to take a look at Tourmaster gear. The fit and finish on the old leather Magnum gear a number of us have it a bit lacking, but it's very robust and performs well in "offs".
    4 of 20
    Sitwon
    10 years ago
    When you say it's not robust, do you mean it's not durable gear?

I'm planning to take Monday off to go back and try on more jackets. They have a huge selection.
    5 of 20
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I should probably qualify what I said above. By serious use, I mean daily use or touring. The build quality of the Ignition is very high but it's very light gear. I just question how well it will hold up in a crash. It just doesn't "feel" sturdy to me. The back protector also needs to be upgraded if I remember correctly. I /think/ it just comes with a foam pad if memory serves. For another point of view, Yun Lung Yang has the complete suit and seems pleased with it. He's had two offs and isn't the worse for wear. I think one of the mesh seams broke but otherwise it seems to have held up pretty well. Maybe he will comment.

They are expensive suits.

So YMMV. I'm really tough on my gear. Coming from a Transit Suit or even my inexpensive Tourmaster leather gear, it just feels really light and the armor doesn't feel adequate to me.

But the Ignition is great in the heat. As a matter of fact I just wore it on a trip up to Bob's.
    6 of 20
    Yun Lung Yang
    10 years ago
    I would say AGV is cut very much like Tourmaster, which are for more american build, stout and stocky. If you are any kind of slim, broad should, and 34 inch waist, you will need to look at Icon, Alpinestar, Rev'it, Dainese.

I recommend prowling the motorcyclegear.com best deal/ for sale section. They have some of the best deals when they go on clearance. They also use maniqueans instead of just the size chart and shopping for right size is very easy even if you dont know your size.  

I think the protection is adequate for Rev'it suit, but I will agree with yermo that it may be a bit less feeling than the other suits he mention, but again thats a trade off.
    But, I will say at that stage of critique for gear is more of a personal choice rather than any kind of measurable difference in safety.

Icon mesh/leather hybrid is very simliar to the rev'it but doesnt ahve the waterproof lining, and the pants is an overpants for jeans underneath. But its only like half the price when its on sale. Very good buy.

I originally had a tourmaster, and I bought the rev'it. I would say comfort is above and beyond the most important thing, esp if you desire to ride longer time. It made world of difference for me in my motivation when I put on a fitting suit.
    7 of 20
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Well said.
    8 of 20
    AGrip
    10 years ago
    I have to say, I'd rather have my sleeves too long, than too short.  It' gets cold out there in the winter if there's a gap at the wrist.  Also make sure you've got your arms up and extended forward when trying jackets on.  You may need more length in the sleeve than you originally thought.  (I did) 
    9 of 20
    Sitwon
    10 years ago
    After spending most of a day trying on different jackets I ended up buying a Dianese Air-Frame jacket and a Wave G back protector at Cycle Gear in Laurel.
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-frame-te...
    http://www.revzilla.com/product/dainese-wave-g-back-pro...

I've also ordered one of these Union Belts (as a stop-gap until I get some proper pants).

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-union-belt

I start the riding part of the MSF Basic Rider Course tomorrow morning.
    10 of 20
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Excellent! I'll be very curious to hear how your class goes.
    11 of 20
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    Late Addendum: I wear an air-bag jacket that has slots for tougher armor that I bought. Breathes well, they work as advertised and best bet to survive an impact with an object, side wall, etc. And I will testify they work... I accidentally tilted too much at my house and went over sideways with the bike onto the grass... was inflated before I hit the ground from merely leaping from the bike. $18 for a new gas cartridge, repacked and ready to go again.
    http://www.hitairusa.com
    12 of 20
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    I have watched this with some interest for a while now. Looks like the data that's accumulating is fairly positive. I may yet try this technology in some format.
    13 of 20
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Just some thoughts on gear... It's worth noting that there are substantial design differences between gear built for the track, the fast street, and the street. You'll find for example that jackets for track and fast road use have shorter sleeves, this is by design to accommodate gauntlet style gloves; as well as a more aggressive cut in the arms and arm holes making the jacket comfortable when in a racing tuck. In a similar vein the armor and protection is different, with track and fast road gear needing thicker leather, or more exotic skins - like kangaroo - for more abrasion resistance in high speed slides. The armor in these suits is designed for high-G initial impact and "tumbling". For general street use comfort is very important and the overall loads are very different. 

Just my 2 cents worth on some things to keep in mind when looking at gear.
    14 of 20
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Excellent points, rshaug.
    15 of 20
    Sitwon
    10 years ago
    I passed the BRC! Just got the Class M added to my license this morning.

I'm so excited to start riding.
    16 of 20
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Excellent!
    17 of 20
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Sitwon wrote:

I passed the BRC! Just got the Class M added to my license this morning.

Congrats, and welcome to the club! Remember that there are always a bunch of us at every skill set, experience level, and bike type who are always willing to lend an ear and a hand to fellow riders. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask
    18 of 20
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Congratulations!
    19 of 20
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    Awesome man, Congratulations! As someone once told me when I got mine last year... you are now officially licensed and trained to ride in a parking lot. Now the real education begins!
    20 of 20
    Sitwon
    10 years ago
    Yup. That's exactly what Yermo has me doing now.