M-BY-MC Site Tech ThreadSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    26 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    An article I wrote about my experiences experimenting with Facebook's HipHopVM JIT Compiler for PHP. 

What does it mean? It means once I get it installed on the live site, assuming it's stable over the longer term, the site will be MUCH faster.
    27 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    One step closer to getting the site up on HHVM:

28 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Just a heads up, the site is now running on a dedicated server kindly provided by rshaug
    Aside from the dedicated box, you should notice a dramatic decrease in page load times. This is due to a combination of things including:

We are now running on Facebook's HipHopVM platform which is described pretty well in this article:

Link #8598
    Yermo
    10 years ago

How Three Guys Rebuilt the Foundation of Facebook | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com

Walk to the back of Building 18, on the edge of Facebook's new headquarters in Menlo Park, California, and you'll find the remnants of The Battle Cave. Today, this room is just another stretch of open office space, where rows of Facebookers work on who-knows-what. But if you look to your right, at the top of the wall, you'll see two metal brackets that once held a pair of flat-screen displays. That's where Joel Pobar and his crew would track their daily progress.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterpris...

. There were some major (and stupid) problems in the code that was causing it to do way more processing than it needed to. 

All in all you should be seeing something around a 10X improvement.

The HipHopVM platform is unproven so there may be significant and weird problems. If you notice serious weirdness please let me know.  
    29 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    At long last and after many requests, I've finally managed to rebuild
     the daily digest with what are hopefully some improvements. I'm trying
    an HTML format so you can see photos posted. For some reason it looks
    like the email isn't being formatted right under Android. I'll try to
    track that down. If the message shows up garbed for you, please let me know.

I've put a lot of effort into moving the "do not send" preferences
    over. I think I've got it right. However, if you're getting this email
    and you don't want it, you can change it in your settings. If that
    doesn't work just let me know and I'll take care of it immediately (and
    will apologize profusely for the inconvenience).

I'm going to be taking this live on Monday.
    30 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I ran into some last minute glitches having to do with Android and Gmail. I think I have them resolved. 

Link #8794
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    31 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Little bug fix. The daily group digest was showing all photos as being shared by the last poster in the forum, in this case Ian. It's been fixed. Sorry about that.
    32 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    You now add titles to the Photos themselves the way they do in meme's. Just check the "add title to photo" checkbox when uploading the photo. You can also add a byline with your profile URL to the bottom to declare the photos yours.

Embedded Object Error
    33 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    And:

Photo #8911
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    "Does it need work?" "Yea, a little"

"Does it need work?" "Yea, a little"

The current state of my beloved blue oilburner (1992 BMW K100RS). I've been procrastinating putting it back together but will start on this project soon ...
    34 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    And it looks like I've finally fixed that annoying but that was causing "'s to show up in titles when posts were shared to Facebook.

I've made a bunch of other minor fixes as well.
    35 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I'll write up a separate thread about this but I've reworked the editor I use for these forum posts. (By the skin of my teeth I might add. I was about to throw in the towel. There's a reason Facebook doesn't do it this way ... it's honestly difficult to get right.)

This post is mostly a test. I'm testing from Chrome under Linux to see if I can get the backspace key, delete key or arrow key to do something they are not supposed to. Or to get the double newline problem to recur.

This is a test

this is another test inserting an object:

Link #9050
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Firstgear Mesh Tex Jacket - RevZilla

Purchase the Firstgear Mesh Tex Jacket at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...

36 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    this is a test

this is a test 

Link #9071
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Sena SMH10R Attachable Boom Microphone - RevZilla

Purchase the Sena SMH10R Attachable Boom Microphone at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

Link #9072
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Sena SMH-10 Mounting Accessories - RevZilla

Purchase the Sena SMH-10 Mounting Accessories at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

Embedded Object Error
    Ok, it looks like pasting of links no longer works /after/ something has been inserted off the INSERT menu.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh-10-helmet-c...;
    37 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    This is a test from an android phone. buffalo
    38 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I upgraded the site today to fix some more minor bugs. Unfortunately, a side effect is that everyone will need to log back in. 
    39 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    If you notice any problems please let me know.
    40 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Another day, another few updates.

I've found and fixed a number of bugs. Actually, fixing bugs in my own code is not all that challenging. However, when my code breaks because third party code that I use has issues, it's particularly difficult and time consuming.

This bug was actually causing a number of problems for the editor: 

So I spent the day crawling through the "jQuery UI" project source code to find and fix this issue, so now the tag and @ mention dropdowns should be much more reliable. 

Also, I've fixed the dropdown in the tagging/bookmarking dialog so it doesn't destroy itself with long lists of tags. (You can bookmark anything on the site by clicking the bookmark link under it. You'll see how other people have tagged it and you can add your own tags to it.)

I also made the bookmark dialog smaller.

The advanced search box should now work even if you select some tags or @ mentions. Previously it was closing the window if you selected something  from the dropdown. Very annoying. However, you now have to click CANCEL in the box to get it to close.
    41 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    This is a test.
    42 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    This is another test.
    43 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    And another test.
    44 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    If fixed another few bugs in the editor having to do with dropdown menus.

Is anyone having problems with writing posts now that I have made these bug fixes? 
    45 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    So I was over at buffalo's house and he uncovered a number of bugs with searching which I think I now have fixed.

* If you weren't logged in, the tags dropdown wouldn't display.

* If you opened the advanced search dialog, closed it, and then opened it again, the tags dropdown wouldn't display.

* In some cases tags were getting duplicated which caused some problems in the database. I've fixed the database and the code, so this problem should be resolved. We did lose some tags on items unfortunately. 

For reference, if you see something you want to remember, you can click the "bookmark" link and add some of your own tags to it allowing you to find it again quickly. 
    46 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I spent the day attempting to improve how links are handled.
    The way it's supposed to work is that a dropdown preview window should appear after you've pasted or typed in a link. You can use that drop down to adjust the title, description, image and/or tags associated with the link.

When we do it this way, the link doesn't just show up here in the forum but also gets added to the Links list (via top menu) and will show up separately in searches.

The problem was the dropdown wasn't automatically opening. It turns out dealing with pasted text into these editor windows is a bit ugly and challenging. I think I have it working for Chrome, Safari and Firefox. MSIE is still flakey at the moment. 

I also fixed a bug where the editor features would fail under some circumstances. We'll see if this is an improvement. I do hope that slowly this stuff is getting better.
    47 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    So I figure I should test this:

Link #9370
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Rear Tires - RevZilla

Purchase the Michelin Pilot Road 4 Rear Tires at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

#tires 

Looks like it works, at least in Chrome. Please try sharing a few links to motorcycle related stuff and let me know if it breaks for you. Thanks.
    48 of 60
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Link #9372
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Airhawk Seat Pad - RevZilla

Purchase the Airhawk Seat Pad at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

50 of 60
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    Looks like t works Yermo. The post above IS MC related as the OL and I plan on doing the blues trail in MS this year