Track Day - Summit Point - 17 JuneSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Coleman Powersports is having a track day, AND Yamaha Demo day, at Summit Point on Monday June 17th. I've already registered and paid. 

I'll be trailering my bike up that Sunday eve (tech inspection opens at 7am Mon). The added bonus is that if it gets wadded up I still have a ride home. If anyone else wants to participat ( jpcfjr I know you were interested) let me know. I can pull a pretty good sized trailer. Will also be taking tools, canopy, cooler, etc.
    2 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    3 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    "On June 17, 2013, join us at Summit Point Raceway to ride on the legendary track. Coleman PowerSports has a limited amount of spots, so 
    sign up as soon as you can. For $130 you can ride the track in your skill level group all day, choose a Yamaha from the demo truck to test on the track, and have a FREE lunch from us!

The truck will be carrying a YZF - R1, YZF - R6, FZ1, FZ8, and a FZ6R. Yamaha requires a helmet, gloves, over the ankle boots, and full leathers."
    4 of 32
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I wish I could go but I"m going to be out of town then.
    5 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Bummer, looks like it will be fun.
    6 of 32
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Hmm. One of these days, though I can't swing that one--hope you have fun though
    7 of 32
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I'm going to be back on the 18th and had been toying with the idea of doing the Bob's Track day on the 24th.

Did I read the event description correctly for the Coleman 17th one? They let people try out an R1 on that track? That would be worth the day just for that. I'm sorry I'm missing it. 
    8 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Yermo Actually they will have several of their new bike there that day. I'm sceduled to take the new R6 out at 2pm. NESBA (who is running the event) is partnered with Yamaha and as part of this Coleman event Yamaha will have a fleet of bikes available for demo rides on the circuit including R1, R6, and all the FZs. Personally, I'm much more interested in the R6 on the track versus the R1.

My handle on NESBA is the same here and my bike number is 193, we'll try to get some pics from the event. Should be a good one with limited attendance and lots of track time. Current estimate is 7 to 9 20min sessions on the track.
    9 of 32
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I find it amazing they let people "demo ride" their bikes on the track. That's great! I'm sorry I'm going to be missing it. 

I agree, the R6 is the more interesting bike. I'll be very interested to see pics. Don't forget to take pics of your own while you're there.
    10 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    I started the "Track Transformation" on it this weekend, going well past what is actually required :-). Definitely has a different look right now. New tires will go on the bikes this coming Sat before heading up. Yes, I am already close to the wear bars on the tires that were installed the week before the trip to the Gap. Lets just say that the Blue ridge Parkway put a spanking on them. Imagine doing RT 28 to the Falls 15 times in a row, stopping only for gas, hauling at a good clip. It was kind of like that. Epic. And the sides are as worn as the middle.

Friday will be brake bleed and fill, oil change, rewire everything. Sat will be tires and getting the Triumph ready.
    11 of 32
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    jpcfjr is going with you?? Oh that's awesome. Man, I'm sorry I'm going to be missing this one. 
    12 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Yeah, should be a fun day. The N1K is taking shape
    Photo #6718
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #6717
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #6719
    rshaug
    10 years ago

13 of 32
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    I'm registered.  Unfortunately, the beginner slots were sold out so I ended up registering as an intermediate.  I called to ask the Coleman contact if this was wise and he asked me "so you use all your tire when you ride?"  My response was "yes".  His response was, "you'll be fine, have fun."  I guess we'll see.
    New Pirelli Super Corsa's are on order and I am shopping for knee pucks.
    I suppose this was bound to happen eventually.  Sometimes we need to be gently nudged into that great unknown...
    14 of 32
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    I joined NESBA and reserved an R6 as well.  Really looking forward to that.
    15 of 32
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    You're going to have a blast.
    16 of 32
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    Maybe so but at this juncture I'm petrified.
    17 of 32
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Don't be. Just keep a race line and realize you don't have to go fast. It's not a race. You are likely to see people there that are nearly standing still by comparison. 

The only disconcerting thing is the speed differential if people are passing you left and right (as they were me) but then again you're not going to be riding the slowest bike on the track.

You'll have a blast. I wish I were joining you.
    18 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    jpcfjr take what Yermo said to heart, it's not a race and there will be riders of every skill set. NESBA has a lot of control riders which is great, in addition to the CR our front the have CRs roaming to make sure all is good. Remember, on the track it is ALWAYS the responsibility of the person passing, not the person being passed, to make sure they do it in a safe and sane way. The guy on the line has right of way. Riders at similar speeds will tend to bunch a bit anyway, so no worries. Ride your own ride and all will be awesome.
    19 of 32
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    LOL, I didn't say what I was petrified of...mostly that I'm going to have to go out and buy an R6 for regular track use because I enjoy myself so much!
    20 of 32
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    LOL. Oh, that's a foregone conclusion.
    21 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    There are some nice, already set up, track bikes for sake on the NESBA forum.
    22 of 32
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    rshaug, I forget who I was talking to the other day about track bikes. Other than an SV650, what would you consider for a track bike? An R6? CBR600RR? Something else?
    23 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Yermo here's a list of some of my favored "track bikes", I'll break it down into three groups; track only (with riding group, these are bikes that would be taken off the street and used as dedicated track machines only), track+street, and Top-Shelf (fastest/hardest/most$):

Track Only
    -Kawasaki ZX6R (I and A)
    -Suzuki GSXR-600 (I and A)
    -Yamaha R6 (I and A)
    -Triumph Daytona R (I and A)
    -Suzuki SV650 (B)
    -Kawasaki Ninja 650 (B)

Track+Street
    smaller---
    -Triumph Daytona
    -Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
    -Honda CBR600
    larger---
    -Suzuki GSXR-750

-Kawasaki ZX10R
    -Honda CBR1000R
    -BMW 1000RR

Top-shelf:
    -Aprilla RSV4 Factory
    -Kawasaki ZX10R
    -Ducati Panigale

Good Used Bikes for Track+street:
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX636
    -Honda RC51
    -2005ish Suzuki GSXR1000
    -Honda CBR1000 (fireblade)

In my own opinion the +/- 600 class makes for a great track platform, plenty fast with good cost containment. For the street I prefer a larger bike, mostly for the better and more usable mid-range that can be far more useful day to day as well as the more forgiving ergonomics.
    24 of 32
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Interestingly, I was thinking earlier today that a Daytona would make for an interesting track bike ... 
    25 of 32
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    there are great write-ups on it in several current mags. Great bike.