Gap to Seattle TripSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Yun Lung Yang, I'm not saying I'm going, but here's a thought about a potential route. 

The Gap to Pikes Peak to Crater Lake to Seattle. I've heard there are some epicly fantastic roads through the Arkansas Osarks that I've never seen. It might be worth it to go through there. 
    2 of 49
    Ian
    10 years ago
    Now yer talkin.Coincidentally, I was thinking of doing a solo trip to Oregon next month, including Crater Lake.  Are Yun and Yermo considering a cross-country trip?
    3 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    See point # 3 on the map above. ;) 

Yes, contemplating /two/ cross country trips this summer.
    4 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    July 12th to August 3rd. Then sometime during the week of August 25th until I get back from the TAT probably in October.

Then it's game over, man.
    5 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    My comment to Yun Lung Yang this evening when he mentioned the trip was, "I could see my buddy Ian!"

Crater lake you say?
    6 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    One scheduling complication is that bruce is going to be out here sometime in late July/Early August and I want to make sure to be here for at least part of the time they are here, but I think that's going to be workable.
    7 of 49
    Ian
    10 years ago
    Cool!  My schedule's a little tight, but I'll be in Victoria, aside from a short trip in mid-July and probably a long weekend in August, either the first or second weekend.  I'll let you know how all that shapes up.
    8 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Bummer. I suspect the timing won't work out but I may be able to shoot up to say hello.
    9 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    If it doesn't work out on this trip, I suspect we'll be able to cross paths after I finish the Trans Am Trail trip.
    10 of 49
    Ian
    10 years ago
    When you say 7/12 - 8/3, is that out and back?  When would you be in my area?
    11 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    It's Yun Lung Yang's trip and it's in the very early stages of discussion. (The idea was just floated to me this evening.)

The original plan was to go down to the Gap for a week and then spend 2 weeks out and back. I've sent him a messages suggesting that we shorten the Gap portion of the trip to extend the cross country part. Looking at the calendar I could imagine we might be able to be at Crater lake by July 20th or 21st. 

But again, it's Yun's trip so we'll have to see what his thoughts are.
    12 of 49
    David Hardy
    10 years ago
    I rode cross country to crater lake last summer, Almost one year ago exactly.. here is the RR on ADV 
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814575
    13 of 49
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    So, I'm assuming that this is the "middle" route, as opposed to the "northern route"?
    14 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Heading out on the middle route from the Gap towards Pikes Peak. Then winding our way up to Crater Lake and Seattle. We're discussing a northernly route back. Glacier National Monument, the Badlands, etc.
    15 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Here's a screenshot of our proposed work-in-progress route:

Photo #6779
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Proposed Gap to Seattle Route

Proposed Gap to Seattle Route

Tentative plan for a cross country trip.
    Once I have a chance I'll transcribe this into a live map here. (The map above was built on the development box.)
    16 of 49
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Looks like fun. Put me down in the "envy" column
    17 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    With the way I'm living my life right now, my future self is going to be envious of my current self.
    18 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Bump.
    19 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    A plan is starting to take shape. We're actually using the maps to lay out the trip. Note the disturbing section of superslab at the end ...
    Map #6956
    Yermo
    10 years ago

July 2013 Seattle Trip Planing Map

A little bit of route and sight planning for the upcoming 2013 Seattle Trip.

20 of 49
    Ian
    10 years ago
    I thought you guys were going to ride to Deal's Gap and then west.   New info: I'll most likely have a house guest up until the 27th of July, so I won't be able to ride out and meet you, but of course you're still welcome to come to me in Victoria.
    21 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    The thought now is to jump on the ferry and come out to visit you if it's ok. I'm not yet sure exactly of the date but we'll certainly be able to tell you several days in advance and if it's not convenient we'll adjust accordingly.
    22 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I posted to the BMW MOA group on facebook about the trip asking for recommendations. It turned into quite the thread. I've updated the planning map with everyone's suggestions. 

It seems like the Ozarks are even more highly recommended than I thought so that should be good riding. 

Map #6956
    Yermo
    10 years ago

July 2013 Seattle Trip Planing Map

A little bit of route and sight planning for the upcoming 2013 Seattle Trip.

23 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    It's looking like it's pretty hot out West. 

Link #7145
    Yermo
    10 years ago

How hot is it in the western US? Real hot - seattlepi.com

The heat wave gripping the western U.S. is one of the worst in years, with desert locations in the Southwest seeing temperatures approach 120 degrees. [...] sweltering heat is often a big draw for visitors to Death Valley National Park especially tourists from Europe with hotels already booked solid during the hotter months of July and August. Drivers should keep pets and children out of locked cars, and a person who suffers a fall on a sidewalk or a street could end up in the burn unit. The easiest way to beat the heat in cities such as Phoenix is to flee the desert for higher-elevation mountain cities such as Flagstaff, Sedona and Prescott.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/ar...

24 of 49
    Ian
    10 years ago
    It might be hot on the mainland, but it's always cool in Victoria. (whether you like it or not!)
    25 of 49
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Go ahead, rub it in.