Site UpdatesSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 1
    Yermo
    4 years ago
    The popup windows (a.k.a. modals) that I rely on so heavily here have been a constant source of pain especially on mobile devices and especially on iPhones.

Last year, Apple introduced a bug into iOS that broke everything. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to try to come up with something that would allow me to work around that bug but in the process broke a bunch of others things.

America.Rides.Mapsis on a tour through Ireland as we speak and ran into some problems updating their ride blog:
    Ride #69270

Irish Spring

A 10 day loop of Ireland

(click through and then on the blog tab)

I've been so focused on developing the app and all the setbacks I've had there that I've neglected the site a bit, but because of this problem I dove back into the code. 

Sometimes it's best to take an extended break and come back to something with fresh eyes. 

I was able to come up with a solution to my popup window problems that seems to work both on the desktop and on mobile phones and it only took me about 4 hours. 

You may have to do a force reload on chrome (Shift reload on the desktop or press the three little dots on mobile and select reload) or in Safari on the iPhone just press and hold the reload button and select "request desktop site" (which it won't but it will properly reload the site). 

Things should, finally, hopefully, start working a bit better. There are still issues but progress is being made. 

Please let me know if you run into any problems.

Thanks!