Carpal Tunnel Riding GlovesSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 9
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    So in my quest to reduce the numbness after hours of riding in my right hand, I've come to the conclusion the vibration is affecting my nerves (20 years at a computer keyboard hasn't helped). There doesn't seem to be too many gloves with appropriate padding, but I did stumble across these which are designed to avoid the nerve lines in the hands.

Link #6989
    Gabe
    10 years ago

Qwi Gloves For Hand Pain & Numbness: Qwi Motorcycle Gloves

Qwi Motorcycle Gloves protect the median and ulnar nerves of the hand from pressure and vibration injury. They help to prevent and treat hand pain and numbness. Effective for carpal tunnel syndrome

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/Mo...

If anyone has experience with gloves like these or similar, please let me know or reply here. Gloves like these of course could be particularly useful for anyone that has riding cramps in the hands, numbness, CTS or just general discomfort. Additionally I use and would recommend an attachable $5 adjustable paddle control (CrampBuster) that clips on the throttle - my cruise control, a wonderful invention!

Addendum: I will be ordering a set of these gloves and report back here on the results and effectiveness.

- Gabe
    2 of 9
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Sometimes a technical solution is not the most effective.

Numbness in your hands is almost always an indicator of a riding problem.
    3 of 9
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    Heh, if I had a dollar from everyone I have heard that same assessment from, I'd be rich, lol!

Might be true, though I've been experimenting with different postures, grips, positions, tension, even loosely holding the grips. Sadly with no effect, but I have noticed less pain and numbness with my mid- season and winter gloves which have more palm and wrist padding. So I've come to the conclusion it might be hand/ nerve related. (I also get numb hands holding the weed eater which vibrates a lot too.)

That being said, all riding tips and suggestions are welcome!
    4 of 9
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Seriously, one day maybe three with me and you'll see things in a new light. It took me until 2010, after having ridden since 1975, to finally get it.
    5 of 9
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I think buffalo may be able to offer some insights.
    6 of 9
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    Looking forward to it!

Side thought: 1975 - great year... Last Apollo launch, the US pulled out of Vietnam, Disco was hitting it's height, bell bottoms ruled, Wheel of Fortune debuted, Microsoft founded and I was born... Man I feel old.
    7 of 9
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Clearly not as old as I feel.
    8 of 9
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Gabe I also suffer from numbness in a couple of my fingers when riding for any time. Typically takes a couple of hours to start but can last for quite a while. Yermo is very correct in that the condition can be brought on or amplified by positioning on the bars and the hand/bar/levers interface. One thing for example is to make sure that when in a riding position you maintain straight lines through your forearm, wrist and hand when grabbing the levers. Also, look at the side-side angle in your wrist when grabbing the bar, you can be pinching blood vessels. As to helpful gear, sometimes gloves with gell inserts in the palm can be helpful. I've found that the thing that helps the most is to occasionally use only my fingers to grasp the bar, and when steady state riding to rest it on top of the bar. There's never really a reason to grab the bar too firmly so you can experiment with alternative holds to ease the discomfort. I'd be happy to demonstrate a few for you on a ride.
    9 of 9
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    Thanks guys, some tips on Sunday's ride would be awesome! I would be more than thrilled if it is my error and not my hand. Usually the numbness takes about an hour to really start in heavy, a very quick shake out and it's gone for a few minutes or a little while so it hasn't become a danger or big problem (yet). I may still try the gloves... but I definitely won't be going anywhere without my trusty cramp buster cruise control.