Separating an oil plan that has been glued in place using too much Orange RTV Gasket MakerSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 2
    Yermo
    4 years ago
    I'm posting this in the hopes that it might be useful for someone else. This cost me a few hours of my life.

Some previous owner of the donor motor I'm swapping into my bike used /way/ too much Orange RTV gasket maker to reseal the oil pan. It was pointed out to me that if so much had been pressed to the outside a similar amount would be pressed out on the inside and over time would likely break loose and contaminate the engine.

I undid all the mounting bolts and whacked on it with a rubber mallet with gradually increasing force. 

No joy.

I tried a razor blade.

No joy.

I even tried attaching a ratcheting strap to the oil over opening and cranked on it as hard as I dared and then whacked on it with the mallet.

No joy.

Based on suggestions from the K100 group on Facebook, I tried the thinnest wire I could find, a light E string from my guitar. It was too thick. 

Based on another suggestion, I tried dental floss, of all things.

That allowed me to make a small bit of progress but it would get stuck and build up. 

I tried strands of high strength nylon rope but that did not work as well as the dental floss.

I wanted to see what thickness of wire might fit into the very small gap so I pulled out a 0.005 feeler gauge. It then dawned on me that maybe I could use the feeler gauge as a cutter carefully. 

It worked surprisingly well. I did put some scratches into the mating surface but my suspicion is that I did not do enough damage to cause a leak.

Photo #70513
    Yermo
    4 years ago

Photo #70512
    Yermo
    4 years ago

Photo #70510
    Yermo
    4 years ago

Photo #70511
    Yermo
    4 years ago