NeverWet is here!Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 6
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    NeverWet has officially arrived - now (reportedly) available at your local Home Depot!

Immediate applications that come to mind:
    - Coating for sunglasses (rain spots, etc.)
    - Coating a (replacable) face shield (may make Rain-X obsolete)
    - Coating for clothing (Hey why do the monkey dance when you can have water slide off! Okay, yeah - depends on the material some and some things need to breathe).
    - Coating for the windshield on the bike, instrument cluster window, headlamp assembly front and all light covers.
    - Coating for areas that have electronics or near them.
    - Coating for gloves.
    - Coating (perhaps) on finished paint and other surfaces not as prone to bumps, brushes and scrapes.- Coating for any riding boots that aren't water-proof.
    - Coating for that Go-Pro camera case.
    - Coating portable electronics (You can get this applied to your phone... may require some breakdown, but some companies do it now for you, I believe. Could be useful for anyone who is going to use an app. to navigate via maps or they want to make their GPS last longer.)
    - Coating for the helmet... just in case. (perhaps the ultimate bird-poop and bug-guts repellant... or at least makes clean-up significantly easier).

Watch the video for more. I will attempt to get some this week at Home Depot and test on some small surfaces... hoping this is a good solution for a face shield and it will be curious to see how fogging is affected... may apply it to a mirror in my bathroom as an experiment to see if condensation from a hot shower runs off.

- Gabe

Video #7486
    Gabe
    10 years ago

NeverWet Arrives - Hands-On Product Demonstration

Rust-Oleum NeverWet, available at Home Depot, is a superhydrophobic spray-on coating that repels water, mud, ice and other liquids. DETAILS: http://bit.ly/10...
    2 of 6
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    worth watching this video of someone who ordered it and tried it out. Clearly some challenges, especially for motorcycle world (poor resistance to abrasion, not chemical resistant). 
    Video #7489
    rshaug
    10 years ago

NeverWet on Car Panel Experiment

Kind of threw the video together, but I hope it shows some good info
    3 of 6
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    Yup, darn, some limitations apply but apparently nothing outside the directions... I.E. RTFM, and don't use it as a replacement for clear-coat or exposure to other chemicals.

http://www.geek.com/science/testing-out-rustoleums-neve...
    4 of 6
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    So true... I think he bigger issue would be that it is a thin film with little abrasion resistance. For any kind of outerwear, especially things like boots, it would seem to not last long. That it's, apparently, opaque hurts for screens, gauges, and painted surfaces. Bummer, because it's otherwise really cool. Will probably get some just to play with
    5 of 6
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    What threw me off was seeing older promotional videos of it used on iPhones - assumed it was transparent and durable enough. It might have been pre-production or earlier promotional version in those videos, but it's sure not the same now.

I will end up getting a can as well. In wonder if this could serve well where water exposure gradually wears down surfaces... such as on a roof top. Then again, leaves or more specifically hail, small branches and other stuff would probably damage it.

I wonder what such exposure to heating and cold might do to it as well... I'm thinking this could be an interesting experiment on the back shed or something like my bike cover (more stiff than clothing). Since our shed is brand new, it might be worthwhile testing this on a portion of the painted wood exterior and roof. Even if some chips away from branches, snow, hail or whatever - if 90% is still there and protected... it could prolong the life. (Or maybe result in one gooey film-coated structure... have to test this on a small portion first.)

I also have no garage so I park my bike behind the back of the house and cover it after each ride. Since such covers tend to only last about a year, two tops given exposure to the sun and elements, it might help prolong it's life. My current cover (bought last spring of '12), is already wearing and probably almost ready to split due to exposure over the course of a year. Since each one costs about $75-100 or more... if a $20 can prolongs the life even by a year at a minmum, that's a cost-benefit savings to me.

The same could be said of BBQ grill covers (go through them faster), maybe a deck umbrella and other items outside.
    6 of 6
    Sitwon
    10 years ago
    If I understand correctly, for the iPhone you use it to coat the electronics inside the phone to seal them off from water, but it doesn't actually coat the screen or outside of the iPhone.

Also, the application method may have changed between developing the prototype and partnering with Rustoleum to make it into a commercial product.