Friday ride -16Aug (Pics added)Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Planning a good day-long ride for this coming Friday. This is anticipated to be an Intermediate (touching on Advanced in places) level ride, maintaining a quick (but street and conditions appropriate) pace through the mountains of Northern West Virginia. Yermo is in, let me know if others are interested in joining as well. This ride will absolutely follow the "ride your own ride" rule, no one should feel pressured to exceed their own comfort level. The route looks terrific and could make for an amazing day or riding.

Proposed start point for the ride is in/near Front Royal VA, looping into West VA, then returning through Winchester, VA. Total ride time between locations in estimated at 5hrs45min, factoring stops etc it is likely to be an all day adventure.

The route has a suggested "leave by" time of NLT 10am from Front Royal, lunch in Elkins, WV around 12:30/1pm, a break at the intersection of WV-50, and then dinner in or past Winchester, VA on the way back home. I'm estimating hitting Winchester around 6pm-ish. Map of the proposed route is below and subject to alteration based on conditions: 

Map #7668
    rshaug
    10 years ago

VA/WV Twists and Sweeps

Proposed, weather dependent, route for a longer all-day ride. This basically starts in Front Royal and ends in Winchester, with the routes to the start and end points TBD. This route assumes leaving Front Royal NLT 10am, lunch in Elkins, WV and probably dinner in Winchester or somewhere East of Winchester post the main ride depending on time.

2 of 15
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Meet in Front Royal or at the Manassas Starbucks?
    3 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    I'm up for meeting at the Manassas Starbucks unless Front Royal is easier for you. Shall we say 9am at the Manassas Starbucks? NLT 9:30?
    4 of 15
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    If we want to leave Front Royal at 10AM we should probably say NLT 9AM in Manassas, no?
    5 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Yermo I was being sensitive to the early time for you. Based on the posts from your trip out west though one might think you've become a MORNING PERSON. Ack! LOL. I am totally good with meeting at 9am at Manassas.
    6 of 15
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Not to worry. Since getting back I haven't managed to rise earlier than 9:30AM, but I will be at the Manassas Starbucks at 9AM on Friday depending on traffic.

Yermo
    10 years ago
    Point of Interest (6939)
    Starbucks
    Coffee

Starbucks

Starbucks, Sudley Manor Drive, Chatsworth Park, Bull Run, Prince William, Virginia, 20109, United States of America

7 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

Not to worry. Since getting back I haven't managed to rise earlier than 9:30AM/quote]

Whew!!!! I was worried you might have become one of "those" people LOL.
    8 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

Not to worry. Since getting back I haven't managed to rise earlier than 9:30AM/quote]

Whew!!!! I was worried you might have become one of "those" people LOL.
    9 of 15
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    The End Times(tm) are not quite upon us yet.
    10 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Bike is pretty much prepped and ready, Sena is charged and updated, both GoPros are charged and updated. Weather looks good all day, really looking forward to this ride.

Latest route info:
    Meet at Starbucks in Manassas at 0900
    66W to 340S in Front Royal
    340S to 55W in Front Royal
    55W out of VA into WV
    55W to 220S in Moorfield, WV
    **-OR- 55W to Elkins, WV (30-35 miles shorter but not as entertaining)**
    220S to 33W near Franklin, WV
    33W to Elkins, WV = Lunch in Elkins
    219N to 50E in the very WestSouthWest tip of Maryland
    50E to Winchester, VA
    Return Route from Winchester TBD at the time
    11 of 15
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Bike finally ready. (I really wanted to install the GPS mount which ended up being an unfortunate exercise in extreme fatigue, mistakes and ruined equipment) 

Sena is charging.

The plan is to leave here shortly before 8AM to be at the starbucks at 9.
    12 of 15
    Ian
    10 years ago
    So you'll be taking the R1100?  You haven't fixed the K bike yet, have you?
    13 of 15
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    An epic day of beautiful weather, sweepers on empty roads and incredible scenery.

495 miles.

Map #7699
    Yermo
    10 years ago

August 16 2013 VA/WV Twists and Sweeps Epic Day Ride

An epic day of fast sweepers and beautiful scenery.,

14 of 15
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Ian, no the k-bike is going to be down for an extended period. It's broken badly with hard internal parts having failed. I'm going to start the slow tear down process soon and will post regular updates about my progress and what I find.
    15 of 15
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Some pictures from the Friday ride.

Photo #7709
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    rt55

rt55

These pillars were remarkable, that is a multilane highway up there.
    Photo #7706
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    rt55 Pillars

rt55 Pillars

Photos don't do justice to their size.
    Photo #7705
    rshaug
    10 years ago

Photo #7707
    rshaug
    10 years ago