The @buffalo needs a DR threadSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    ***As Miles By Motorcycle is now doing the AMA Dual Sport the first weekend in October, this thread has now been hijacked to subtly suggest that Duncan needs a DR***

Initial planning thread for a ride to the Pine Barrens in Southern New Jersey. This area has miles and miles of sand and dirt roads through the forest. This is not a hard core OHV trail, although there are some difficult areas that can optionally be tried out, it is for the most part sand and dirt 2-track with some holes, humps, etc. Perfect for ADV bikes!

This is the outing to go on for all the DRs, DRZs, GS's, and anything else that likes getting dirty. Only requirement is that it must be street registered (NJ law says so as believe it or not these are considered 'roads').

Current thinking is a one day ride leaving earlier on Sat morning and coming back Sat night. 
    2 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Have any links with info about the area?
    3 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    There is a huge amount of info out there on the Pine Barrens and many, many You Tube videos. The following are the basics though:
    http://www.pineypower.com/offroading.htm
    Off-Roading has become increasingly popular in NJ's Pine Barrens. Wharton State Forest alone has over 500 miles of unpaved roads in its hundred thousand-plus acres of forests! 

http://www.pineypower.com/geninfopbpg10.html
    4 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Excellent. Thanks. Definitely up for this. Sounds like fun and something new and different.

5 of 42
    Michael Milner
    10 years ago
    It might be a bit of a haul as a day-trip, especially if the off-road stuff is physically taxing.
    6 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Michael Milner it's only a couple of hours from here (maybe 2 1/2) than once there it's largely packed sand and dirt roads and two-track trails...also mostly pretty flat. If the Black Diamond OHV trails are a 10, the Blue OHV trails a 7, a gravel fire road a 3 and pavement a 1...this is probably a 4-5. It's a great place to work on "dirt skills" someplace that is very unlikely to hurt. If we leave here at about 9am we'll be at the Park for lunch, then a few hours of dirt trail riding, and back here likely before 8pm even with stops. 
    7 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I forget where, maybe on facebook, the topic of camping was raised weather permitting. We could certainly do that but I'd like to throw out the possibility of just hotelling it while we're up there.
    8 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    I'd be up for overnighting at a hotel more than camping on this one.
    9 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    If we do that we can check in to the hotel and drop a bag etc before hitting the Pine Barren.
    10 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    That sounds like a plan to me.
    11 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Sum=Plan Done.
    12 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Where are we staying?
    13 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Funny that you ask, I was just looking. It looks like staying in Berlin will be the way to go (sort of fitting, my fave city on the continent). Looks like there are a few typically crummy, cheap NJ hotel options for us
    14 of 42
    Michael Milner
    10 years ago
    I'm leaning towards waiting until my new (more comfy) seat for the X-Challenge arrives. Anything over 50 miles was torture. Production date is Sept. 16.
    15 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    rshaug, are you riding up to the Barrows or taking the truck?
    16 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    Yermo I was planning to ride the bike
    17 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    So the plan is to meet here some time in the morning?
    18 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    exacto
    19 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Cool. What time were you thinking?
    20 of 42
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    9am??
    21 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    And I thought you weren't an early riser.

I'll be ready to leave at 9AM.

I don't have an ezpass thing so I'll have to get cash for tolls.
    22 of 42
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    You can pick up an EZ Pass at the Beltsville MVA, and possibly Giant, same day.
    23 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    buffalo but can you pick up a DR?
    24 of 42
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    If only it were that easy
    25 of 42
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    But buffalo, it is so simple. You just go. You buy one. No problem. They're super cheap.