Other Mapping and Ride Tracking Apps and SitesSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    76 of 101
    Robermcm
    4 years ago
    sweet.  I’ll have mabdr input for the sections north of MA5!
    77 of 101
    Yermo
    4 years ago
    Link #70468
    Yermo
    4 years ago

AllTrails: Trail Guides & Maps for Hiking, Camping, and Running | AllTrails

Search over 75,000 trails with trail info, maps, detailed reviews, and photos curated by millions of hikers, campers, and nature lovers like you.

https://www.alltrails.com/
    78 of 101
    Ben Mendis
    4 years ago
    I haven't tried it yet, but saw this one advertised on Instagram.

79 of 101
    Yermo
    4 years ago
    Ben Mendis, thanks for the link!
    80 of 101
    Link #74701

Scenic Motorcycle Touring on the App Store

Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Scenic Motorcycle Touring. Download Scenic Motorcycle Touring and enjoy it on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id108966...
    81 of 101
    Link #75613

Hiking Trail Maps, Hunting Units, 4x4 Offroad App | Gaia GPS

Plan trips and record GPS tracks for free, with the best outdoor app. Browse hiking trail maps, hunting units, and scout offroad camping trips. Buy a membership to download maps, including topos, aerial imagery, public/private land ownership, and National Geographic.

https://www.gaiagps.com
    82 of 101
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    Link #163276
    Yermo
    3 years ago

Moto Riders Universe App

Social network for riders and motorcycles

https://motoridersuniverse.com/app

83 of 101
    Ben Mendis
    6 months ago
    I am anticipating needing a GPX route tracker in the near future to map out some private trails. I am likely to use OSMTracker or OsmAnd (can do everything that OSMTracker does, and more, but with a less streamlined interface).

I might also take the opportunity to test out other apps. Fortnine recently did a moto-navigation review and mentioned Gaia GPS as a good choice. Unfortunately a lot of important features are locked behind a monthly subscription.

Video #276351
    Ben Mendis
    6 months ago

Build a Motorcycle Navigation Rig for Under $300

Motorcyclists have more navigation technology than ever before, but how much do we really need? With the right smartphone, GPS app and some accessories, we c...
    Link #64173

Hiking Trail Maps, Hunting Units, 4x4 Offroad App | Gaia GPS

Plan trips and record GPS tracks for free, with the best outdoor app. Browse hiking trail maps, hunting units, and scout offroad camping trips. Buy a membership to download maps, including topos, aerial imagery, public/private land ownership, and National Geographic.

https://www.gaiagps.com/
    84 of 101
    Yermo
    6 months ago
    When you say mapping out some trails, can you be more specific? 

What do you intend to do with the data? 
    85 of 101
    Ben Mendis
    6 months ago
    Pretty much just that: literally make maps of the trails.

With some friends we're about to close on almost 50 acres of land in PA. It's mostly forested, with a network of existing dirt trails. I'm going to explore the trails, recording the tracks, and send the GPX files to a friend who will design paper maps for us. 
    86 of 101
    Goat
    6 months ago
    Yermo, does this reappearance mean your site is up and reactive? I’m about ten years older now (74) but still here, although I’ve relocated to Lake Anna, Virginia since we were previously active. Anyway please allow me a learning curve as I get my feet wet again. I still have my 1998 BMW R1200C but have added a 1994 Harley FLHR recently, I found it in a collection with only 4k miles, now has 5k. 
    87 of 101
    Goat
    6 months ago
    Oh, and I just changed my handle. 
    88 of 101
    Goat
    6 months ago
    Oh, and I just changed my handle. 
    89 of 101
    Yermo
    6 months ago
    There's been hardly any activity in the forum for ages now, but then again I haven't been trying to promote the site. I've still been actively working on the mapping tools and a companion mobile app. 

I'm planning on redesigning the site and relaunching it under a new name, but that will be months in the making. Doing all this stuff as a solo developer is taking absolutely forever. 
    90 of 101
    Goat
    6 months ago
    I downloaded the above mapping app. Is this your project?
    91 of 101
    Yermo
    6 months ago
    No, it's not available in the stores yet. It's just in alpha testing right now with a few people. Maybe I can get Ben Mendisto be one. It's still too buggy to recommend for most people to use. But the plan is to eventually get it to the point where I can get the accepted by the stores. 
    92 of 101
    Goat
    6 months ago
    I quit Facebook a few years ago. I recently got back on. I just sent you a re-friend request and your photo popped up about ratttlesnakes. Amazingly my wife had commented… she doesn’t comment much, that was 10 years ago. I just got the notification you accepted my request. Thanks. 
    93 of 101
    Suren
    6 months ago
    @ Yermo, I would test the site and app for you.
    94 of 101
    Robermcm
    6 months ago
    ooh!  I have friends that will help do that gpx mapping, if you’re in the western side of PA. We’re headed to anf this weekend!  
    95 of 101
    Yermo
    6 months ago
    Suren what kind of phone do you have? 
    96 of 101
    Suren
    6 months ago
    iPhone. I can try to resuscitate an older Pixel in case you are testing on Android first.
    97 of 101
    Yermo
    6 months ago
    Because of AppStore restrictions, testing under Android is much easier at this juncture. It's early stage Alpha Software ... I use a Pixel 2 and 3 to test with and it seems to run pretty well on those platforms.
    98 of 101
    Robermcm
    6 months ago
    I have a Samsung S7 I’d be glad to load it on and put it through whatever testing you’re most interested in. 
    99 of 101
    Yermo
    6 months ago
    Awesome. Thank you! I'll be in touch once I have the next build ready.
    100 of 101
    Robermcm
    2 months ago
    excited to see your new adv-traveler site!  Makes sense to me. And people to Adv on motorcycles seem to like other modes as well. It’s a mind set!