Its the small things R1150RS update. Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 6
    isurfne
    10 years ago
    As many of you know i have had a less than perfect track record with my motorcycles in the last couple of years. As of late my bike has been running like shit. I adjusted the valves, changed the spark plugs, got the valves and rocker arms re-adjusted by a BMW mechanic and had my throttle bodies synced. Still nothing. As it turns out my bike has been running like shit because i had a clogged/ burnt out oxygen sensor. With the assistance or a neighbor (who used to be a motorcycle mechanic) for some bravery I tore off my exhaust, which was damn near welded on mind you and replaced the oxygen sensor. 120 miles later the RS is running as it should. 

Some notes on my research into my recent problems:
    BMW has done some fantastic work regarding engine mapping. They have included in the same CPU 8 different engine maps. Each map is accessable by jumpering one or more sets of plugs within the same port ( picts to follow later). Everybody and their brother wants to caution you about messing with these maps and the best one to use and how to modify your bike to give it more HP or torque or just plain dick about with it. 

What Ive come to realized is that while some people don't like what bmw did with the R11XX series they actually did a pretty damn fine job. There are a few modifications i would make myself to optimize the bike for my riding style but in the end they made a great machine ( at least as far as the mapping in concerned).  
    It should be know however that i have ( well dad) ordered a device i plug into my O2 sensor to richen up the mixture for throttle transitions. The only issue with the map i have encountered thus far is on the transition to off throttle and back on. If the mixture was richened up slightly in this range it would not be so abrupt. 

Thus, my attempt to circumvent the pesky US emissions regulations ( slightly) to achieve a smoother ride. 

Long story short, the guys at bmw do a pretty good job, until they run into the epa... but who care about trees anyway

More to follow when i start meddling about with mixture in the low rpm ranges. 
    2 of 6
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Excellent. I've misplaced the link to the gadget, could you post it here?
    3 of 6
    isurfne
    10 years ago
    Link #8280
    Yermo
    10 years ago

BMW-AF-XiED R1150 / R1200C & R1100S & K1200RS/LT O2 Sensor Manipulator

Fits all R1150 models, R1100S (S Models only), R1200C and all K1200RS & LT bikes. The BMW-AF-XiED O2 sensor manipulator is a plug ...

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwaf...

4 of 6
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Thanks!
    5 of 6
    isurfne
    10 years ago
    Consensus. New O2 sensor, and that spangly little gadget and the bike is running amazing. It doesnt "surge" like it used to, and it is wayy nicer on the throttle transitions. Its still a BMW twin, and that in and of itself has issues, but all in all im happy as a clam. There are some things i will be doing this winter to make it a better ride next year, but for now, there is beautiful weather and i have a bike that runs like it should!
    6 of 6
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Excellent. That's great to hear!