Riding Gear Question?Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 28
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    The wife and I ride in almost all weather conditions.

I know some of you do also. So I have a question for you.

The wife is in need of a new riding jacket/pants combo.

She is looking at the Firstgear Kilimanjaro. Firstgear Women's Kilimanjaro Jacket - RevZilla

She is moving up from Joe Rocket gear.

She is a passenger on my bike and wants protection to ride 3 seasons.

So what do ya'll think of this gear and what do you have that works for your passenger?

All input will be appreciated.
    2 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I took a long hard look at the Kilimanjaro but thought, if I remember correctly, that the venting left something to be desired.

Where do you live? Here around DC the majority of riding weather is so ridiculously hot that having some kind of serious mesh with some layering helps. 

AGrip has an Olympia jacket/pants combination that she really likes. We upgraded the armor. I believe it's the Airglide, if memory serves. 
    3 of 28
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    I've worn the Kilamanjaro jacket for over 10 years. I bought one and then 6 years later I bought the newer version at the time. I have nothing but good things to say about that jacket. That was my go to travel jacket. I wore it 3 out of 4 seasons. The only reason I don't wear it anymore is because I wanted something with a little more style. 
    4 of 28
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    We travel for my job Yermo. Right now, we are in Knoxville, TN. No bike as this is a short job in winter.

We should be in East Tejas for the next two years after this short stint up here though.

And no, we don't wear gear in the summers down there. Just way too hot IMHO. I know I know! But it is a question of heat stroke or being able to cope.
    5 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I hear ya.

When these were first mentioned to me, I was very skeptical. As long as the humidity is less than 80% or so they seem to make a world of difference. In dry heat, the effect is amazing as I rode through 110degF desert heat this summer hardly having any trouble at all. YMMV.

6 of 28
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

I hear ya.

When these were first mentioned to me, I was very skeptical. As long as the humidity is less than 80% or so they seem to make a world of difference. In dry heat, the effect is amazing as I rode through 110degF desert heat this summer hardly having any trouble at all. YMMV.

We went to Vegas last year and stopped at the local auto parts place. We got the synthetic chamois and cut a slit to fit over our heads. Drenched them in water and donned the "vest". They worked remarkably well until they dried out. A bottle of water poured around the neck gets them re-activated. We made it through the dessert with no problems after that!

I may look into what you posted, interesting to say the least!
    7 of 28
    Connie Jakubcin
    10 years ago
    I have that jacket--functional it is; fashionable it isn't. I wear it 3 seasons, and switch to a mesh jacket or lighter weight textile in the Summer because this would be way too much for hot weather. I have the light color for better visibility in the dark. This color does show dirt quickly and doesn't clean easily. But, it's fairly water resistant and wind resistant and is adjustable, comfortable and has good storage. 
    8 of 28
    Ian
    10 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

If Yermo was happy with this in that kind of heat, it must work really well!  He doesn't like the heat so much, wouldn't you say, Yermo?
    I have yet to try gear like that, but I also haven't ridden in hot weather since my last trip to California over four years ago.  It just doesn't get hot here on Vancouver Island.
    9 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Yea, I admit it was pretty amazing how well they work. As Ian mentions I don't do well in the heat at all, but even in the hottest desert heat I was able to manage just fine. It was hot but not unbearable. 

But they work off evaporation so in extreme high humidity or if you have gear that has no air flow they may offer little benefit. The lower the humidity, the higher the benefit.
    10 of 28
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    So far, I have two women that have this jacket and have nothing but good things to say about it. Fashion won't save your hide in a slide if you get that meaning. I think my SO will be happy with this choice. She is all about function over style.

I have the Rainier Jacket and pants combo and it has held up VERY well in five years. I couple this with a Widder vest  when the temps drop significantly. So far it works for me.

Does anyone know if the newer jackets have better ventilation?
    11 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately, I don't know. But Revzilla's videos tend to do a good job at showing all the features/benefits:

Link #9031
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Firstgear Women's Kilimanjaro Jacket - RevZilla

Purchase the Firstgear Women's Kilimanjaro Jacket at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...

12 of 28
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    The jacket I currently wear is a Joe Rocket. It is a little more stylish and I actually look like a woman when I wear it. It has armor in the arms, shoulders and back. It's textile and I'm certain it will protect me in a slide. The challenge of being a woman rider is to find protective gear that makes you look good as well. Sorry I'm just slightly vain. 
    13 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I suspect options for female riders will only increase going forward as they now represent the fastest growing segment.
    14 of 28
    woodshed
    10 years ago
    I have a Firstgear Kilamanjaro 4 that I love. I live in northern AZ (colder than Phoenix) and commute all winter with it. I find it gets uncomfortable to use above about 90 degrees. I also bought a Firstgear Mesh Tex jacket to use in the summer. I find that either a fleece or a windbreaker is adequate much of the time in the spring/fall weather before I break out the heavier one.

Interestingly I use Joe Rocket ventilated pants, and just slip  fleece lined windpants under them in cool weather. Not much rain around here though.
    15 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    What's the difference between the Kilimanjaro 4 and this jacket?

Link #9049
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket - RevZilla

Purchase the Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

This is the mesh jacket you use?

Link #9050
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Firstgear Mesh Tex Jacket - RevZilla

Purchase the Firstgear Mesh Tex Jacket at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

Which model of joe rocket pants? 
    16 of 28
    woodshed
    10 years ago
    I don't think that there is any difference in the Kilamanjaro's, except maybe yearly changes by the mfr. Mine is about 6 years old. If I remember, they had just changed from the K-3 to K-4. 

Yes the Mesh Tex jacket is what I have. As long as I am not in stop and go traffic, it is bearable on hot days. I purchased a Goldwing a year ago, and it doesn't let a lot of air get behind the windshield.

My pants are the JoeRocket Phoenix 3 mesh pants. Getting them was my commitment to complete my safety apparel outfit. I always wear helmet, gloves and jacket, but pretended that regular pants were okay. 

Thanks for the interest.

Yermo, maybe you could shoot me a  note about how you got the revzilla ad with photo in your reply. Thx. 
    17 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    woodshed I have to improve it (and I'm working on it) but what you can do is copy and paste a product link from revzilla and after pasting it press the SPACE bar. A dropdown a la facebook will appear letting you edit the description and add some tags for the item. When you click SAVE it'll insert it into the forum post. 
    18 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    It'll also let you know if someone else has already saved that link, in which case the tags you add will be added to the listing. In a future release you'll be able to see all tags applied to links/photos/maps/roads/etc in addition to the ones you yourself have applied.

You can then, in the search box look for things you have tagged or that everyone has tagged. 
    19 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    The pants you mentioned:

Link #9059
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 Pants - RevZilla

Purchase the Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 Pants at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

20 of 28
    isurfne
    10 years ago
    Link #9171
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Firstgear TPG Expedition Suit - RevZilla

Purchase the Firstgear TPG Expedition Suit at RevZilla Motorsports. Get the best free shipping & exchange deal anywhere, no restock fees and the lowest prices -- guaranteed.

Considering this as an alternative to the seriously expensive Aerostitch Roadcrafter lite for this year. 
    21 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Interesting. I had not heard of this suit before. From the video, it doesn't seem to be as durably made as the Aerostich gear but it's hard to argue with the price difference.
    22 of 28
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    VifferSwiffer The suit above is the one I was talking about.
    23 of 28
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    I too rode a wing for many years in hot weather--do you have vent wings on your fairing? I did, and it made a significant difference in air flow. Also, if your stock windshield doesn't have a vent at the bottom, you can get aftermarket shields that do.
    24 of 28
    woodshed
    10 years ago
    That is a good idea to add vent wings. I've only had the Wing a year, and only 2 trips on it. Luckily my long one was in November, and most of the time I was more worried about warmth.  (my photo was taken in Bisbee AZ, a cute old mining town in southern AZ)

I need to replace the windshield and I plan to get one with the vent built in. I also plan on getting some footpegs, so I can get my feet out from behind the cylinder heads.
    25 of 28
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    All of those things should help. That's a good looking wing you have there, BTW. GL1500 I'm guessing? Mine was an '82 GL1100I, which I rode to Alaska via San Diego many years ago.