Ducati for the loss?Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 18
    DucatiDreamer
    10 years ago
    I have started to do a lot of research by watching YouTube about adventure riding. I know there are many types from folks just going down dirt roads compared to logging roads and breaking fresh ground.
    I plan on doing the logging roads and dirt roads.. maybe breaking my own trails some day after getting more experience in riding.

After watching all these videos I discover that the Ducati Multistrada is not the preferred bike, for anything other than concrete or city roads.  I read a lot of reviews saying how great the bike is but maybe they were biased to only pavement riding?

Would this bike hold up to a ride to the arctic circle?

I understand the the Multi is not a duel sport, but I hope to do some easy duel sport riding.
    2 of 18
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I did the trip on a '92 K100RS sport touring bike.

Photo #7436
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    92 K100RS All Cleaned Up and Ready to Go

92 K100RS All Cleaned Up and Ready to Go

After what seemed like an epic push, I managed to get everything bolted back together. Yun applied his tremendous detailing talents to make the bike looks this good.

It's 23:35 and it looks like everything is in order for a 6AM departure.
    You will notice that I have accordion covers over the fork sliders.

The challenging thing, looking at photos of the Multistrada, has to do with the largely unprotected inverted forks and the super low fenders. To get to the Arctic circle you'll end up doing a few hundred miles, at least of unpaved road. They use calcium chloride to bind the gravel with. When dry it turns into something the approximates dusty concrete. But when wet it turns into sticky dough

Photo #9232
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Calcium Chloride on the Dalton Highway

Calcium Chloride on the Dalton Highway

This is what the calcium chloride they use to bind the gravel on the Dalton Highway looks like when it gets wet and then covers your bike. It turns into a kind of contact cement and gets all over everything. In my case, it eventually prevented the secondary clutch level from moving (which on my bike is placed right before the rear wheel).
    This stuff will cake up under the fenders and will get all over the forks which will very likely damage them. You don't want to have destroyed fork seals that far from home. I talked to one guy who had the muck cake up under his front fender so badly it stopped the front wheel from spinning.

If the fenders, front and rear, can be raised and the forks covered completely then the rest is largely doable. The roads even when they are muddy aren't really that challenging. You just have to take your time and be careful and not let the road lull you into a false sense of security.

I did it on a street bike after all.

I've been getting into a bit of adventure riding myself over this last year and picked up a proper dual-sport for that purpose.

3 of 18
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I should point out that logging roads can get pretty seriously hairy. Actually, some public roads can be quite challenging. During the Shenandoah 500 held by the AMA, I came across one road that I don't think I could have taken the street bike on. It was a ridiculous rocking stream crossing. (the road goes from left to right so it's not as bad as it looks in the photo but it's still bad.) We normally take our street bikes on just about any signed road, but I remember mentioning to buffalo that this was one we would not have been able to do.
    Embedded Object Error
    4 of 18
    DucatiDreamer
    10 years ago
    Thanks,
    I will check with Bobs BMW when I get home and discuss this with them. I did find some pictures of 1 or 2 guys riding MS but most pictures where of BMW and KTX.
    Thanks..
    found some other good articles about the MS raising my spirits a little.
    5 of 18
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to run the K13 across that stream unless I had a very compelling reason to do so
    6 of 18
    DucatiDreamer
    10 years ago
    Heading back to USA.. cant wait to go pick up the Ducati. Just need to rent a truck and trailer.. Wish it was not so cold or I could just ride it back home.

Does anyone know if you have to register a bike if its just parked? I don't plan on riding it until spring plus moving.. so not sure what I have to do.
    7 of 18
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    There's no requirement to have a vehicle registered unless, depending on jurisdiction, you leave it parked uncovered in the driveway or on the street.

The one thing I would be concerned about is insurance. I don't know if you can get insurance on it if it's not registered. 
    8 of 18
    DucatiDreamer
    10 years ago
    I'll check with my insurance company..
    9 of 18
    DucatiDreamer
    10 years ago
    Tried to add a picture.. no mass.

Back in Alexandria, trying to figure out a way to pick up the bike from up near Pen State University.

I have been looking for a rental van that is European style, high back, but cant seem to locate one.

I might just have to pull an enclosed trailer with my car  to get the bike.
    10 of 18
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I'm working on improving the user interface for all this stuff. The upload worked fine. The button you need to press after the upload isn't all that clear.
    11 of 18
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    A trailer is probably your best bet.
    12 of 18
    DucatiDreamer
    10 years ago
    Going to go look at a Uhaul today and see if it has tie down mounts inside it. Anyone want to rent a trailer to me... I will get my car checked out, it was sitting for 4 months and a nice puddle of something, looks like antifreeze, was underneath it. But I checked all the fluids and they were fine strange.
    13 of 18
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    When I was in Montana needing to do my tow of shame, Uhaul would not rent me anything enclosed to put my bike in unless I drained it of all fluids.

The standard open trailers they have are pretty good and there's a cut out that works like a wheel chock in the front.

Photo #9431
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Tow Of Shame
    14 of 18
    DucatiDreamer
    10 years ago
    Brother, I think they gouged you. I am hauling a guys bikeup to the same shop, that I'm picking mine up. Still got to decide method to haul it.
    15 of 18
    Ian
    10 years ago
    So you're getting the Multistrada and planning on riding it to the Arctic?  Nice. 
    As Yermo pointed out, he rode to the Arctic Ocean on an old heavy streetbike, so the Multi should do just fine.  A few years ago a guy at advrider.com chronicled his ride across Siberia on a Harley Sportster.
    Don't believe the hype!  Unless, of course, you plan on doing serious off-road riding, then believe the hype.
    And with the Multi, you'll get to the dirty bits a lot faster, too, if you want.
    16 of 18
    DucatiDreamer
    10 years ago
    I got the MS, just waiting for some time to go pick it up. Its going to be interesting to start rinding it. I'll find some dirt roads to enjoy locally.
    17 of 18
    Ian
    10 years ago
    Congrats!  I look forward to hearing about it.
    18 of 18
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    We know some great dirt roads not too far in Virginia at the end of this route:

Map #6757
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Northern Virginia Fort Valley Road Loop

This is one of our favorite routes through Northern Virginia. We typically start out at 55 where it meets 15 and take side roads down to 17 until it connects to 211.

There's a wonderful section of tight technical but well graded switchbacks on 211 as you approach and cross Skyline Drive.

We usually have lunch in Luray and from there head up to Route 675 which is a series of switchbacks the carves it's way up the side of the mountain. There are wonderful vistas as you go up. Very pretty.

From there you catch Fort Valley Road which goes on seemingly forever as it winds it's way through this magical looking valley of pristine farms and old buildings. It eventually narrows to a tight state park road that follows a roaring creek bordered by steep canyon walls in a deep wood.

We typically make our way to the Starbucks in Front Royal before taking the Superslab back home. Sometimes we'll take 55 for some local color as it winds it's way seemingly through towns that time forgot.

The best sections are tagged in yellow.