Motorcycle Rider Conspicuity & Crash Related Injury (Study)Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 7
    Gabe
    9 years ago
    This is really interesting. I've been contemplating a switch very shortly to partially fluorescent clothing and reflective decals (black bike), and possibly a more visible helmet too. This just further solidifies the case for being seen.

Main outcome measures:
    Estimates of relative risk of motorcycle crash related injury and population attributable risk associated with conspicuity measures, including the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, headlight operation, and colour of helmet, clothing, and motorcycle.

Results:
    Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%). After adjustment for potential confounders, drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.63, 95% confidence interval 0.42 to 0.94) than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99). Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk. Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.73, 0.53 to 1.00). No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle. If these odds ratios are unconfounded, the population attributable risks are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation.

Conclusions:
    Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death.

Motorcycle rider conspicuity and crash related injury: case-control study
    Link #9948
    Gabe
    9 years ago

Motorcycle rider conspicuity and crash related injury: case-control study | BMJ

Abstract Objective To investigate whether the risk of motorcycle crash related injuries is associated with the conspicuity of the driver or vehicle. Design Population based case-control study. Setting Auckland region of New Zealand from February 1993 to February 1996. Participants 463 motorcycle drivers (cases) involved in crashes leading to hospital treatment or death; 1233 motorcycle drivers (controls) recruited from randomly selected roadside survey sites. Main outcome measures Estimates of relative risk of motorcycle crash related injury and population attributable risk associated with conspicuity measures, including the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, headlight operation, and colour of helmet, clothing, and motorcycle. Results Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%). After adjustment for potential confounders, drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.63, 95% confidence interval 0.42 to 0.94) than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99). Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk. Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.73, 0.53 to 1.00). No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle. If these odds ratios are unconfounded, the population attributable risks are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation. Conclusions Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death.

http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444...
    2 of 7
    Ian
    9 years ago
    Thanks, Gabe, that's interesting.  In my opinion, it should be fairly obvious that brighter gear translates to better visibility and lower accident rates, not to mention fewer close calls.  I've been wearing a bright yellow helmet for years now and though I can't prove that it has helped, I strongly suspect that it has.  Your helmet is high and center and is the best place for a hi-viz color.

I have noticed a steady increase in the number of riders wearing bright colored jackets, which is good to see.  It also means that there are lots of options out there.  Go back, say, twenty years, and there were next to none.
    3 of 7
    Gabe
    9 years ago
    Ian, precisely my thinking. I recently got several reflective large patches to custom stick on the panels (Ironically they are colored black but light up when lights shines at them).

For the visibility factor I've been planning a whole new setup.

Helmet - Scoripion EXO500 in Black & Fluorescent Green (same model as I currently have so the fit is the same, though might go with something else in more of a whole color instead of yellow striping).

Jacket - Tourmaster Transition Series 3 Jacket (high-visibility yelllow)

Hit-Air Airbag Vest - Yellow Reflective (Can wear on top of virtually any motorcycle jacket)

Alpin Drystar Pants - Black/Yellow

- Gabe

Link #9952
    Gabe
    9 years ago

Hit Air MLV-P Airbag Vest Large Reflector: BIKEBONE

We will match any price on the web*, plus 10% of the difference! *Details at the bottom of the page Demo Video and Testimonials The Long Awaited New Super Light Weight Vests Models Are Here! New MLV-Reflective Model Reflective material of LUMIDEX is used for good nighttime visibility and the safety. S-System is installed. Super Light Weight Vest for Motorcycle riding is Hit-Air s latest model for wearing over your favorite motorcycle jacket. This vest incorporates Hit-air s new super high speed airbag deployment system. The system deploys the airbag in .25 msec (0.25 sec)! By comparison the human eye blink rate is 300 to 400 msec or 0.3 seconds. The Hit-air MLV model is also super light weight making it comfortable while wearing it over your favorite jacket or vest! It is so light, cool and comfortable you will hardly notice that you are wearing it! The Hit-air MLV model is ideal for the rider who has one or more jackets in his or her wardrobe but want the superior protection t

http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/P...
    4 of 7
    Gerald Barrowman
    9 years ago
    Some years after my mother died my niece saw her name on TV on one of those site listings for unclaimed money. It turned out to be an insurance policy we didn’t know about and we ended up with $900 apiece.

I thought, “what’s the most outrageous sensible thing I can buy”? So I bought a Schuberth C3 helmet in Day-Glo green to go with my Vision Day-Glo green vest. 

So I proudly wear them to a local charity event that drew 478 riders, 90% Harley riders, the rest on Jap cruisers, and not one sport bike in sight (I live in Harley/Chevy country). 

Now, I’ve been to hundreds of motorcycle events over the years where I’ve pulled into a parking lot jammed with bikers lounging around but never did I feel that every head in the lot turned simultaneously to look my way! It was freaky! 
    5 of 7
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    Gerald Barrowman what do you ride?
    6 of 7
    Gerald Barrowman
    9 years ago
    Yermo, 
    Currently I’m riding an ’85 Honda 450 Night Hawk since my ’85 Honda 500 Shadow’s CDI unit died for the second time. I’m looking for one since they’re no longer available new. I got an interesting email passed on to me about that. According to this email you can cut the CDI box open, identify the burned out diode and replace it?

I miss the Shadow, I think I know why but I’m not sure. I’ll call it the mechanical pulse feedback? 
    I mean….I have a perfectly good ’83 GL 650 Silver Wing with all the accessories (2 seats, 2 trunks, hard side bags, essentially a my size Gold Wing that I should love and it sits there. Even the Night Hawk is not growing on me. I’m thinking the engine is too smooth, too refined, that’s not me for sure! 

Of course I have to tell you about the others that are either too tall, heavy or dirt oriented for me anymore. 

I still dream about lowering the ’90 R100GSPD and getting back on it. No complaints about that bike other than the bulk and seat height.

The ’81 Harley FLH….with the engine partly assembled because I told my wife I would sell it after I bought the GS…. is a milestone bike that will probably never get ridden or sold while I’m alive but I still think about making it beautiful again. 

Then there’s the ’86 KLR 600, the most fun bike ever…sitting there with dual sport tires and too tall to hold up anymore. A ’93 Yamaha XT225 Serow that just might be the last one standing when all I can handle is going around the block a few times.

However…. I drool over that 250 Honda CBR with the Respol graphics every time I go to the dealer.  I just may do that yet! 
    7 of 7
    Yermo
    9 years ago
    That's quite a collection!

The '85 450 Nighthawk was my first street bike. Of all the bikes I've ever owned that one was the most popular with passengers. My sister had a similar model Shadow not too long after. Great bikes. 

Hold on to that R100GSPD. They are slowly becoming more popular again.

I've been eyeing the CBR myself as well. I understand Honda is bringing the 300 this year.