The Waterfall Ride
Tour almost a dozen roadside waterfalls on this scenic day ride.
Distance: 165 miles
Ride Time: All day ride
Difficulty: Easy to moderate difficulty
Start: Maggie Valley
Starting at the Haywood Visitor Center, follow US 19 - Soco Road west.
Pass under Blue Ridge Parkway at Soco Gap and continue on US 19 - Wolftown Road
8.9 Miles - Soco Falls
- Gravel pull off on left with small signs on the downhill section of US 19 on a sharp curve. The falls can’t be seen from road. A path and boardwalk lead to an overlook with 2 converging waterfalls.
Continue on US 19 into Cherokee. Turn left @ traffic light onto Casino Road to cut to US 441 south.
- Turn left @ traffic light onto US 441 south to leave Cherokee and merge onto US 74 east (Exit 74).
- Follow US 19 / 74 / 441 (Great Smoky Mountains Expressway) east to Dillsboro.
Leave the highway at Exit 81, pass Dillsboro and continue south. Follow US 441 south to Franklin.
Exit US 441 and follow NC 28 / US 64 east. NC 28 leads into the Cullasja Gorge.
52.6 Miles - Cullasaja Falls
Visible from road on right. Limited and hazardous parking near guardrail on sharp curve.
57.4 Miles - Quarry Falls
Visible from road on right. Long paved pulloff on right side of road.
60.7 Miles - Dry Falls
Not visible from road. Paved parking on right with signs. Short trail to waterfall. Path continues behind waterfall.
61.4 Miles - Bridal Veil Falls
Visible from road on left. Paved pull off. Drive behind the waterfall for a photo.
- Turn left @ traffic light in Highlands to continue on US 64.
86.7 Miles - Toxaway Falls
- Not visible from road. Road crosses dam with waterfall below. Difficult to get a good view. Park at Toxaway Village or along road on dam.
- Continue on US 64 east past Rosman and through Brevard
- Turn left @ traffic light onto US 276 north. Ride north into the Pisgah Forest.
111.9 Miles - Looking Glass Falls
- Visible from road. Large paved parking along road on right. Boardwalk to base of falls.
114 Miles - Sliding Rock
- Not visible from road. Fee area $2. Paved parking lot. Bathers slide down waterfall. Continue climbing on US 276 to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Turn right onto parkway ramp. Turn left at the stop sign to head south (towards Cherokee) on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
128.2 mi - Second Falls
- Graveyard Fields - Not visible from road. 1/3 mile paved walk to top of Second Falls. Trails continue to 2 others.
Exit Parkway. Turn left (towards Canton) on NC 215. Descend from the parkway on NC 215.
134.8 Miles - Bubbling Spring Falls
Visible from road. Hard to find. Look for 3rd gravel pull out on right on the only straight section of road.
137.2 Miles - Sunburst Falls
Visible from road on left. River plunges beneath the roadway on a hairpin curve. Small unpaved parking are just beyond. Follow NC 215 - Lake Logan Road to US 276.
- Turn left @ stop sign to follow US 276 into Waynesville.
Turn right @ traffic light in Waynesvile. Pass through town on Main Street.
turn left onto US 276 - Russ Avenue. Follow to US 19.
Turn left onto US 19 - Dellwood Road. Follow to Visitor Center
END: Maggie Valley
Start: Maggie Valley
Ride: Maggie Valley to Franklin
Ride: Franklin to Brevard
Ride: Brevard to Maggie Valley
Enjoy a dozen nice roadside waterfalls on this day ride.
1110 Soco Road
Maggie Valley, NC 28751
Printed maps of all the great roads surrounding the Smoky Mountains can be purchased at the Haywood Visitor Center in Maggie Valley, North Carolina
America Rides Maps offers the most comprehensive and detailed motorcycle rides maps of the hundreds of great roads throughout the Blue Ridge Mountains from Virginia to Georgia.
Order online http://AmericaRIdesMaps.com
formVista generated this page in: 0.1247 seconds
using '6291456' bytes of memory