BMW K100RS Tech ThreadSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    26 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Beemerboneyard competitor:

Link #8367
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Re-Psycle BMW Parts

Re-Psycle BMW Parts has a huge selection of quality parts and accessories for your BMW Motorcycle as well as a fine selection of vintage classic BMW Motorcycles.

http://www.re-psycle.com/

27 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    BMW K-bike tech group mailing list:

28 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Transmission is out. Because of the level of damage in the rest of the drive train, I'm going to preemptively have the transmission rebuilt.

Photo #8372
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    K100RS Transmission
    29 of 92
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Having seen this project in the flesh yesterday, I can say that the pictures don't completely convey the level of carnage with regard to the drivetrain.

IIRC, this pic represents somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 hours of steady effort to disassemble the bike to this point. Not something most folks would want to tackle, but more power to you for pushing this along
    30 of 92
    Jay
    10 years ago
    Yes, that is some serious surgery there. Kinda cool that you have the werewithal to do it yourself. With everything else going on , sometimes a simple oil change seems daunting. 
    So close to 6 figures on the odo, too. It would have been cool to reach that threshold without a major teardown. Of course, I'm assuming it hasn't already had one in the past. 
    Good luck with a smooth re-assembly.
    31 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Jay, This is the first major mechanical failure I've experienced and the first time the bike did not get me home in the decades I've owned it. I wore out rotors. The water pump seal failed about 20,000 miles ago. The stock exhaust system cracked about 30,000 miles ago. I had some electrical glitches with the ignition control module. Other than that it's only be regular maintenance and upgrades (suspension).
    32 of 92
    Jay
    10 years ago
    No doubt it's been a great bike for you. Mostly we'll known, common issues. I think the cracked exhaust on those is a given ( not if, but when).
    33 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Yea, on the 16V K100RS's the exhaust was a known problem. Luckily I was able to score a Remus street exhaust. It's much louder than the whisper quiet stock pipe but at least it let's me continue running the bike.
    34 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Tomorrow I'm heading up to Tom Cutter's Rubber Chicken Racing Garage to drop off my transmission to have it rebuilt. 

I really wasn't looking forward to a 260 mile drive in the car. That would have killed my back.

I also talked to Bruno of Bruno's Machine and should have a replacement rebuilt drive shaft shipped to me some time next week. My destroyed parts had some value for him so I shipped those out today and he's crediting me for them. Very cool. 

The big question will be whether or not I can get all this stuff bolted back together again. It's going to take 2 to 4 weeks for the transmission rebuild, so there's going to be a bit of an intermission in this project.
    35 of 92
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    I suspect things will work out OK in the end. Rubber chicken should do a good job on the trans, given Tom's reputation. Have a safe (if cool) ride
    36 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I talked to him for a bit. His depth of knowledge is intimidating. Interestingly, we talked about grades of oil for a bit. He was saying that for my final drive and transmission, synthetic oils must NOT be used. I'm going to have to ask him to explain to me again exactly why. It has something to do with the way the final drive and transmission splash the oil around and synthetic not forming the same kinds of long strands when splashed that conventional does resulting in inadequate coating of parts. I do remember him saying clearly that failed transmissions and final drives that he's rebuilt for customers who followed his recommendations are significantly under-represented in the failures he's had to repair. 

I suspect this is going to be interesting.

On the way up, I'm going to stop by Revzilla and have lunch with VifferSwiffer and maybe check out some goretex boots for cold weather riding. These Pumas hurt my feet.
    37 of 92
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Interesting--that's not something I'd heard before. Though coming from Tom Cutter, something to be taken seriously.
    38 of 92
    Valnerik
    10 years ago
    The 83-85's run even hotter before they passed the emission laws
    at the end of 85 anything 86 and beyond have the new emission standards for that time.
    39 of 92
    Jay
    10 years ago
    So, what's the status on BBOB? Expecting the trans back soon?
    40 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Jay, I should have the transmission back in the next week or two. The word is the rebuilt/improved driveshaft has already been shipped and should be here end of this week/beginning of next. 
    Then all I need to get are a few odds and ends including a clutch.
    I still have to pull the clutch and inspect the rear main seal.
    41 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    One freshly rebuilt transmission:

Photo #8563
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    92 K100RS Transmission Rebuilt by Tom Cutter of Rubber Chicken Racing

92 K100RS Transmission Rebuilt by Tom Cutter of Rubber Chicken Racing

Behold then beauty of this thing.

Then listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ2ywczFcME

The transmission for my 1992 K100RS 16V was rebuilt by Tom Cutter of http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/.

Now it's just a matter of dealing with a few odds and ends and I'll be able to begin the reassembly process.
    42 of 92
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    That's a sight for sore eyes. When does surgery commence?
    43 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    buffalo not sure yet. I still need to pull the clutch and order some parts. It'll be another couple of weeks, I imagine.
    44 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Not that I'm in the market for an exhaust, but here's an option for anyone with an old 'K needing an exhaust:

45 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Not that I would ever do this, but BSK Speedworks in the UK has made a modern replacement fuel injection system for the K100's:

Link #8925
    Yermo
    10 years ago

BSK SpeedWorks - BMW K Series Engine Management Package

BSK SpeedWorks - BMW K Series Engine Management Package - Bespoke custom built motorcycles and perfomance parts.

http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/engi...

46 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Check out the new home page. 

I improved the photo rotation and generally reorganized the homepage. It's a stop gap until I have a chance to redo the layout/design of the entire site to make it more "responsive" for mobile devices.
    47 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    So I'm working up to replacing the rear main seal on the bike. I'm still waiting for the special tool to correctly seat the seal, which is apparently critical to preventing leaks.

Link #9571
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Rear Main Seal removal - K100RS

Hey gents, Puzzled staring at the backside of the engine trying to figure out how I replace the rear main seal. On the steel-outside-cup there's an arrow, is th

http://www.k100-forum.com/t3926-rea...

Link #9572
    Yermo
    10 years ago

any tips on replacing the rear eng seal?

hi, I am finaly "there". Has anyone tips /pics /things to be carefull about on replacing this? Thank you, Roy

http://www.k100-forum.com/t444-any-...
    48 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Apparently, when re-installing the transmission you have to use some transmission alignment pins to keep everything in line so you can get the splines to match up.

After doing some research, it seems 8mm thread x 1.25 pitch x 85mm is the correct length.

Link #9577
    Yermo
    10 years ago

K75 Correct Transmission Alignment Bolts

After some discussion on another thread, the idea has arisen that a set of three or four 125 mm by 8 mm by 1.25 pitch bolts - the barrels of WHICH WERE TURNED TO EXACT DIAMETER of the tranny/engine locator pins - would make the using of the "long bolt method" of tranny/engine alignment much easier as it would maintain the exactly correct orientation when time comes to slide the tranny forward and re-engage the engine. Unfortunately this idea arose about two days after I finished my spline

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthr...

Edit: The M8X1.25 shoulder bolts are /too big/ to use as guide pins. The hole is only 8mm and the outer diameter of the shoulder bolts I ordered is 10mm. bummer. Back to the drawing board.
    49 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Interestingly, based on everything I've read this is the recommended stuff to use for lubing the splines on the transmission input shaft, drive shaft and final drive.

50 of 92
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Differences between German and American spec K100RS's.

Video #9719
    Yermo
    10 years ago

BMW Service - K100RS 16 V German & US model differences

Detailing the differences between a German & U.S. model 16 valve K100RS.