2014 BMW K 1600 GTL Exclusive First Look ReviewSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 29
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    When/If I ever upgrade my bike many years down the road, this will be my baby. Oh yes... she will be mine.

Link #8518
    Gabe
    10 years ago

2014 BMW K 1600 GTL Exclusive First Look Review | Rider Magazine

BMW's new K 1600 GTL Exclusive adds standard luxury features such as Keyless Ride, Hill Start Control, pushbutton ignition, special paint and more.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-st...
    2 of 29
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    Nice bike but will you like the arm rests on it?

The keyless ignition would be a GREAT thing to have in my opinion.

I do have the 2013 GTL and I can attest to it being a great bike that performs VERY well.
    3 of 29
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    DaFish, how many miles have you put on it so far? Any pics?
    4 of 29
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    About 3,800 so far. A little shakedown cruise from South LA to the Appalachians and back in Sept.

I'll see if I can't drag up a couple of pics.

Mostly still stock with only highway pegs mounted on the mothership engine guards.
    5 of 29
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    Oh! And by the way, "Fish" is fine.

No need to be formal
    6 of 29
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    nothing like a little light touring.  
    7 of 29
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    I had a 2012 GTL for 2 years, put 20,000 miles on it and loved it. But traded it in this past August. The cost of ownership was more than I was comfortable with. And I feared what would happen when the very short warranty ran out. I also worried that I would be stranded by the kill switch. It happened to my husband and my friend and I thought my time would come while I was on the road. 
    8 of 29
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Lisa Epifano Hall What issues did you run into with it that caused the ownership costs to be so high?
    9 of 29
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    The tires only lasted for 7,000 - 8,000 miles so I went through a few sets. Every 18,000 mile service cost is $900. That's when they check the valves and so much labor is involved just to get to them. I was doing my own oil changes so I saved there. The other services were over $400.  My water pump went at 15,000 and that was a common issue, fortunately it was covered under warranty. The warranty runs out after 3 years or 36,000 miles and I was just not comfortable thinking about the what ifs and how much it would cost to repair. 
    10 of 29
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    That seems like a lot in comparison, but I'm very new to riding and ownership. The cost of maintenance, lifetime of parts and general lasting quality were chief concerns of mine, and ultimately why I ended up going with a Honda. I would be curious to know from others if these costs and problems are something to expect for this series of BMW motorcycle, or BMW's in general as the BMW K 1600 is of potential long term interest to me.
    11 of 29
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    I went from a Goldwing, which service cost me maybe $400 a year, to the BMW and although there was a huge performance and handling upgrade I just couldn't justify the cost. 
    12 of 29
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Lisa Epifano Hall, yea, I never get more than about 6000 miles out of my tires, but then again I change them yearly whether they've got tread life left or not. Too many heat cycles and they start getting hard which gets problematic when leaning the thing over.

Hmmm. $900 at 18K. I think that's probably around the same range that I pay for having service done on my bike. I'll have to check my records. But I rarely put that kind of mileage on unless I'm touring. My bike only has 92K on the clock. 

I'm really surprised by the water pump. That is troubling.

I do admit the "technological monsters" that these bikes have become is a real turn off for me. It's the same with cars. With increased complexity and performance comes radically increased cost of ownership over the long term. 

Were you running Marathon's or similar hard compound tires on the Gold Wing? What year Gold Wing? 

What are you riding now?
    13 of 29
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    I am now riding a 2013 HD Road Glide Custom. Never in my life did I think I would go to a Harley but I have to say the Road Glide is a pretty nimble machine. I'm a enjoying the low center of gravity and seat height. I bought the service plan so all maintenance is covered for 3 years. 
    I had 3 Goldwings. The first was a 1999 1500, then Honda redesigned the Goldwing in 2001 and I had to have it. I put 100,000 miles in 8 years on the '01 (it retired in Nevada on a cross country trip, that's another story) I replaced it with a 2010 Goldwing. I had Bridgestones on the wings and they would last about 15,000 miles. 
    14 of 29
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Lisa Epifano Hall I understand the need to retire bikes. If If were sane I would have retired mine in Montana last summer; also another story.

Very cool that you found something new and different to enjoy. I didn't know HD did full service plans. That's a pretty interesting benefit. I know a few guys who have put serious mileage on theirs and love them.
    15 of 29
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

Lisa Epifano Hall I understand the need to retire bikes. If If were sane I would have retired mine in Montana last summer; also another story.

Yermo, I was following you throughout that adventure last year. It stinks while you're going through it but it makes for a great story
    16 of 29
    Gabe
    10 years ago
    There may be something to Yermo's thought of overly-technological bikes... I had not considered that "more advanced stuff" could equate to "more maintenance costs and failures".

Perhaps there is something to be said for simplicity after all and I find myself now reconsidering the long term benefits of keeping my current bike into "insanity".
    17 of 29
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    As my husband says you only go around once you may as we'll try all the motorcycles you can!
    18 of 29
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Looks like I have a bug to fix in quoting. It's always something, eh? 

Thanks for the kind words. I will ride the bike again and it won't be too long now, but when friends look at the shape it's in at the moment I don't know if they entirely believe me:
    19 of 29
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    This is what my bike looks like at the moment:

Photo #8911
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    "Does it need work?" "Yea, a little"

"Does it need work?" "Yea, a little"

The current state of my beloved blue oilburner (1992 BMW K100RS). I've been procrastinating putting it back together but will start on this project soon ...

(and I'm shamelessly trying out some new features I just added to photos.)
    20 of 29
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    Well, I just bought mine a few months ago (k1600) and I bought the extended warranty with it. Seven years and a cost of 1500 big ones.

The complexity of this bike is the reason that I bought the ex warranty. Fifty dollars for every time it has to go in is not that much IMHO.

Tires-Well, that's another story! I knew about the reduced tire life when I bought the bike. I have a Harley FXDX (Superglide Sport) that only averaged 8-10K out of a back tire anyway. I did switch to Michelin Commander 2's and I have 10K on the tires right now.

They do say the PR3 and PR4's work better on the K-1600. I will read more before changing out my tires. As of right now, the bike is in Tejas and I am in Tennessee. (Gotta pay for the thang right?)
    21 of 29
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    The PR3's were my favorites. They stuck to the road superbly. Now I guess it should be the PR4's. Good luck with your 1600. It is an awesome machine. My dealership didn't offer an extended warranty or else I may have kept it.
    22 of 29
    DaFish
    10 years ago

The PR3's were my favorites. They stuck to the road superbly. Now I guess it should be the PR4's. Good luck with your 1600. It is an awesome machine. My dealership didn't offer an extended warranty or else I may have kept it.

Thanks for the kind words Lisa.

A question for you though. Where in the world are you? I know here in the US, all dealers offer an extended warranty through Zurick or other company's.
    23 of 29
    Lisa Epifano Hall
    10 years ago
    I live in South Jersey, my closest dealership was 85 miles away (another reason I traded the bike in) in Metuchen, NJ and they never mentioned any extended warranty at all and we asked too. 
    24 of 29
    DaFish
    10 years ago
    So sorry that you didn't get the extended warranty.

It was the ONLY way I considered having this bike. Fourteen computers on this thing! Can you say MONEY?
    25 of 29
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I /love/ the PR3's. I used to run Metzelers exclusively for years and years, but while in Washington State, I was unable to get a pair and the shop only had PR2's in my size. 

What a difference on my bike (you know, when the front and rear wheels are actually on it ... and it has a transmission, swingarm, driveshaft .... )